Alloy Cannon (EU2012)
|Project Avocet Results|
The alien alloys have proven to be extremely difficult to forge and manipulate for use in our theoretical designs. Machining the alloy was an arduous process, leaving us with limited options as to what it could be used for. Although we considered the alien alloy's density a benefit, one that made it ideal for use as an advanced form of projectile ammunition, the material proved to be so dense that it ate directly into the weapon's barrel...making it useless after a single firing. After a number of failed attempts, we finally managed to develop a barrel sleeve made from the alloys, which has so far survived several hundred test firings during our experiments. With the "alloy cannon," as we've been calling it, now operational, we've had ample time to study the effects of its design. Although similar to a traditional shotgun configuration, because of its specialized ammunition, the alloy cannon is substantially more powerful, and deadly. Testing on targets made up of a modified ballistic gel proved pointless, as the targets were completely penetrated by the alloy munitions, despite an average thickness of roughly two meters. Needless to say, this weapon will have a similar effect on any hostile targets our troops might encounter.
Source: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012) Research Archives
By developing a firing mechanism capable of projecting machined shards of the alien alloy, we've created an extremely powerful weapon that has a devastating effect on anything caught in range. However, accuracy falls off quickly over greater distances.
Source: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)
- The Alloy Cannon is the final evolution of the Shotgun line of weaponry.
- While the listed Critical Damage (on the EW DLC) is 14-16, the actual values are either 13 (33% of the shots) or 15 (66%) due to a bug.
- Unlike all plasma weapons, research of the Alloy Cannon doesn't benefit from the Plasma Weapons research credit.
- Although this weapon is expensive to be build and can only be used by Assaults, it is essential when facing high level aliens such as Sectopods, Muton Elites and/or Ethereals.
- On the Enemy Within DLC, the building costs for each Alloy Cannon have been increased to §300, 40 Elerium and 75 Alloys.
- Alloy Cannon research benefits from the following Research Credits: Weapons Technology, All Technology.[Verify?]
|XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012): Research|
|Initial:||Xeno-Biology • Alien Materials • Weapon Fragments • Meld Recombination (EW DLC)|
|Other:||Research Credits • Research Codenames|