Overwatch is the golden boy of XCOM 2. To put your soldiers in Overwatch they will need to have at least one action left. Overwatch shots have a little aim penalty(except when triggered by an ambush), but unlike its predecesor overwatch shots will trigger one by one, not all at once, allowing for a more diverse strategy setup.
It is important to remember than overwatch can be removed if the unit takes damage or gets hit by a flashbang.
Overwatch and Skills
There are certain skills that modify Overwatch functionality
- Covering Fire: Overwatch shots can be triggered by any enemy action, not just movement.
- Threat Assessment: Aid Protocol now grants the target a Covering Fire overwatch shot, but the Aid Protocol cooldown is increased by 1 turn.
- Ever Vigilant: If you spend all your actions on moves, you are granted an automatic overwatch shot at the end of the turn. (only if you don´t attack)
- Guardian: With every successful overwatch shot, there is a 50% chance that another shot will be taken.
- Long Watch: Allows Overwatch to trigger with Squadsight.
- Kill Zone: Take a reaction shot against any enemy that moves or attacks within a cone of fire. Ability does not end after first shot; only restricted by ammo. 3 turn cooldown.
- Phantom: When the squad is revealed, this soldier remains concealed. (your soldier wont make Overwatch shots until he is revealed)
- Shadowstep: This soldier does not trigger overwatch or reaction fire.