Arc Thrower (EU2012)
We've completed our research into the Arc Thrower prototype and we believe this device is ready for final production in Engineering. The mechanism functions on the basic premise of neurological disruption, emitting a focused electromagnetic pulse capable of confusing and incapacitating targets within a limited range. As this is our first venture into the field of non-lethal weapons based on the alien physiology, it's safe to assume there may be unexpected results in the field. It's very likely that some aliens will resist the disabling effects of the weapon, in which case it might be more effective to weaken the enemy first. The Arc Thrower is also constrained by our current power supply technology, which limits its effectiveness to two shots per deployment. Any captives retrieved from the field will have to be housed in an Alien Containment facility; I strongly advise we build that facility before attempting to capture live specimens.
Source: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012) Research Archives
The Arc Thrower is a non-lethal sidearm designed to stun hostile targets. The mechanism seems to be most effective against weakened enemies.
Source: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)
- "I trust you have tested this thing..." - Shaojie Zhang
- Attempts to stun the target alien (2x / mission).
- Foundry Upgrades:
- The Arc Thrower has a better chance of working if the target has 3 or fewer health remaining. (49% chance on 4hp target, 70/80/90% on 3/2/1hp)
- Foundry upgrade increases that threshold to 6. (49% on 7hp, 70/80/90 on 6/5/4hp and 95% chance on 3hp or lower)
- Given the close range, a Support class soldier with Sprinter is a fairly good candidate for packing the Arc Thrower.
- Alternatively, an Assault class soldier with Lightning Reflexes is another good candidate for the Arc Thrower as they can avoid the first overwatch shot of the target.
- To ensure you don't lose soldiers because of a failed stun attempt, try stunning the alien using at least two people in one turn or have another soldier with a clear line of sight that can take out the target if the attempt fails.
- Note that the Arc Thrower does not affect Chryssalids, Cyberdiscs, Sectopods, Seekers or Mechtoids, so you do not have to capture them to gain all the research topics.
- Also note that the Arc Thrower's aim isn't affected by wounds - sometimes it can be a very useful close range weapon to ensure a soldier's survival.
- If you have a Sniper with the Disabling Shot skill, you can make the stun much safer on the approach, and should the stun attempt fail the enemy will be unable to return fire on their next turn.
- Use of Suppression fire is a good way to keep a wounded enemy immobile and without shooting, while your Arc Thrower soldier approaches.
- The weapons of aliens taken down with the Arc Thrower will not shatter into fragments. Instead, the weapon is recovered in working condition and will appear in the XCOM base inventory (although it still needs to be researched the before soldiers can use it).
- Stun, Repair Shiv, and Drone Hack have separate commands from each other, but the Arc Thrower only holds two charges total: So it's two total of any combination of Stun, Repair, or Hack.
- Repair Shiv and Drone Hack have more range than the stun function.
- For any applicable targets (alien, drone (hacked or not), or S.H.I.V.) where any Arc Thrower action is available, a range of use is shown as a blue ring with lightning bolt symbols, centered on the target. There is some leeway in differences in altitude, but the distance range for if a soldier might not make it entirely in the circle, is if the dot at the end of a soldier's movement line (in the center of the square you'll be moving your soldier to) is within the circle. Be sure to change the camera angle, as the line is directly on the floor, while the circle hovers a few feet off the ground: perspective may not make it clear if a soldier will be in range in 1 move.
- Note that the Arc Thrower, being an item, does not have its chance to hit changed by the Heavy class ability Holo-Targeting.
|XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012): Soldier Equipment|
|Items:||EU: Alien Grenade • Arc Thrower • Chitin Plating • Combat Stims • Frag Grenade • Medikit • Mind Shield • Nano-Fiber Vest • S.C.O.P.E.|
EW DLC: Flashbang Grenade • Gas Grenade • Ghost Grenade • Mimic Beacon • Needle Grenade • Reaper Rounds • Respirator Implant