I guess you could consider this page a stub. We don't exactly have pages covering the different versions of the game yet. I mean, sure, there's the Versions page... but that's barely readable, let alone complete. Really I just want somewhere to info-dump, details and structure can come later; feel free to clean this up if you're in the mood. :P
It is notable in that it contains many differences to the final release of the game:
- Weapon damage is far lower; it typically takes at least a few shots to down a target.
- Various graphical differences:
- The Electro-flare is not included; a (non-usable) "Stun Gas Grenade" object takes its place.
- Various buttons are missing from the inventory screen display. It is also not possible to tell how much ammo is in a weapon without checking the inventory screen.
- Psi-programming appears to be incomplete.
- Primed explosives detonate on their set turn regardless of whether they're stored in a soldier's inventory or not.
- Sound samples are each stored in individual SAM files, instead of combined CAT files.
- Various other file structure differences and additional unused graphics (eg, language strings are stored in the executable, and only English ones at that).
- The GeoScape's "FUNDING" button shown in the slide-show is labelled "HIGHLIGHT".
- A debug mode, that allows you to view alien movements and thought patterns, can be enabled by flipping byte 0x5D66E in ufo2exe\ufo.exe to 1. (Thanks Volutar!) A similar function can be enabled in the final CE release of the game using UFO Extender.
Uses nearly the same slide-show as the pre-release version (minus the PC Gamer blurb), with the same Snakemen/terror set up (though on a different map, with different items/soldiers etc). The slide show contains screen shots from the normal Intro animation, UFOPaedia entries, and Geoscape game play. Probably based on the v1.0 version of the game.
- The game is referred to in two ways:
- X: Enemy Unknown
- X-COM, Terran Defense Force
- Weapon damage seems to be normal.
- Various graphical differences/similarities:
- Smoke and fire does now animate.
- Bullet-path animations don't exist.
- The Electro-flare is now included; "Stun Gas Grenade" is not present.
- It is now possible to tell how much ammo is in a weapon without checking the inventory screen.
- Psi-programming indeterminate as there are no Psi-Amps.
- Primed explosives detonate normally.
- Encumbrance does operate, but not normally.
- Saving / Loading the game is not possible
- Tactical only, no Geoscape
- Abort is possible, ending the tactical mission and the demo
- Victory is possible, ending the demo
- Mission failure/defeat is possible.