Differences to X-COM (OpenApoc)
OpenApoc is modelled after the original Apocalypse and enhances the game experience dramatically.
- None of these bugs or limits except:
- Grenade Timer Behaviour: Can be configured to emulate it, and in fact is set as such by default.
- Mouse wheel support.
- Caret for text editing.
- No CPU-based speed (animations play at a constant speed regardless of the computer).
- Mouse input works like modern systems.
- Human-readable savegame format.
- Quicksave/Quickload feature.
- Autosaves and Ironman mode.
- No savegame limit.
- Painless customizability with modular rulesets in human-readable format.
- Full Unicode support.
- Localized in many more languages.
- Take screenshots in-game.
- Standalone "Skirmish" style custom Battlescape mission generator.
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
- Native support for in-game music in many different file formats (including OGG, MP3, etc.)
- Customizable display and audio options.
- A built-in and extendable selection of optional display filters.
- Various gameplay options, including XcomUtil and UFO Extender features.
- Corrected erroneous text and descriptions.
- Various UI and quality-of-life enhancements like sliders, scrollbars, etc.
- Melee stat shown in the unit stat page.
- Aircraft weapons may be unequipped.
- Objects, fire and smoke keeps animating while walking or scrolling the screen.
- Pathfinding is a different algorithm: it will always find a solution, if there is one, no matter how difficult.
- AI/behaviour of aliens is different. - Impossible to 100% exactly mimic original AI.
- Waypoint-based projectiles have no upward limit on the number of waypoints they may use.
- The inventories of mind controlled, non-terrorist aliens may be accessed.
- Can use special abilities of mind-controlled aliens.
- The limit on units has been removed, allowing 23 or more soldiers to assault alien bases.
- Unit spawning function has been improved - no more large units stuck in walls.
- Units holding two single-handed weapons will have the fact represented on their sprite.
- Soldier sprites will have their hair and skin recolored to represent their race.
- Can cancel out enemy's mind-control with your own.
- "Not enough equipment" screen shows items missing.
- At the end of the mission, ammo from clips is totalled, so you only lose enough clips to match the total ammo used (as opposed to losing any used clip).
- Soldier equipment loadouts are automatically saved.
- Soldier equipment can be copy/pasted in pre-battle equipment screen.
- Soldier rank and stats accessible from inventory.
- Can load game from Battlescape.
- Right-click opens doors.
- Right-click will cancel a unit's movement, and will cause projectiles to "skip" their flight paths, instantly hitting their target.
- Possibility to use "force fire" when no line of sight is available. (CTRL + Left Mouse Button for firing)
- Tooltips on Battlescape buttons.
- Melee weapons can be used for reaction fire (Chryssalids, Zombies, Reapers, etc).
While the above differences are hardcoded, there are also various new "non-vanilla" features you can choose to enable, such as gameplay features and keyboard shortcuts. See the Options section for more information.