(h x w)
|2 x 2|
Inside the bodies of Aliens we have found small surgically implanted units. These are Control Implants designed by the Aquatoids to allow the constant supply of information from the battlefield, even at great distances. The Molecular Control Reader is an Alien communication device which is used to take information directly from M.C. Implants. X-Com units can use this device in combat to display an Alien's characteristics. Select the 'use' option. Then click on an Alien with the cursor.
The M.C. Reader is an alien device that allows you to remotely read the data from a target creature's M.C. implant. In game terms, this gives you a once-per-use peek at an alien's stat screen, revealing important info such as his health, TU's, and rank. Can be used on any alien (or Civilian) within sight of any Aquanaut. The Aquanaut with the Reader does not need a direct line of sight to the subject, but they will turn to face the alien. The Reader can not be used on Aquanauts, even if they are under alien M.C. control.
M.C. Readers must be researched before being issued to Aquanauts. The most common use of a Reader is to identify high-ranking targets whose capture is necessary for Research. Apart from that use, they are not vital battlefield devices. The Reader takes up 2x2 backpack spaces unless carried in a hand slot. It is not necessary to take more than 1 or (at most) 2 Readers along on missions.
- If the alien is nearly out of Time Units, you can move without fear of drawing reaction fire.
- If the alien is low on morale, it is likely to panic easily.
- If the alien is nearly out of health, you might be able to bring it down or stun it with light weaponry.
- Unlike the Mind Probe, which is found on scout-class UFOs, the M.C. Reader is found on Battleship-crew missions (Battleship subs themselves, plus all terror missions and Artefact Sites), as well as the exterior of Alien Colonies.
- If you do not have a M.C. Reader in storage when you complete research on the M.C. Lab, you will never be able to research it, nor develop the M.C. Disruptor or the M.C. Generator!