MEC variant of the Assault and Infantry classes. Marauders are designed to get up close and personal, causing havoc at close range with point blank flanking shots, flamethrowers and kinetic strikes.
- Primary Weapon: MEC Primary Weapons
- Secondary Weapon: MEC Secondary Weapon Systems
- Class-Limited items: MEC Equipment items
The first use of the Kinetic Strike Module each turn will leave this unit with 1 AP but reduces mobility to 3.3 tiles during their next action. Grants Ram.
If this unit moves at least 4 tiles in a mostly straight line towards the tile directly in front of an enemy, this unit will hit that enemy for x melee damage, where x is half of the distance moved + 1 for every 10 max HP this unit has.
Dash and Bash
Allows a Kinetic Strike at 0 AP if the last AP was spent moving. Grants +4 damage to Kinetic Strikes (+8 if this unit has a Thumper) and doubles the effect tiles moved has on Ram damage. Disables the AP discount from Onslaught. Cannot activate if out of ammo. 2 turn cooldown.
Close Combat Specialist
Grants a reaction shot at any enemy within 4 tiles that acts. Reaction shot only activates on enemy's turn, once per enemy. [Basic reaction shots bypass half of cover DR/def, cannot crit, and require hit chance >30]
When activated, grants +4.0 mobility and the ability to jump to normally inaccessible heights for the rest of the turn. 3 turn cooldown. Does not break hidden abilities (Cloaking, Shadow, Concealment, Stealth, or Ghosting).
Grants +1 damage and +20 aim against targets within 4 tiles. Counterattacks melee attacks with damage equal to this unit's max base HP.
Grants +3 armor HP and %DR equal to half of the %HP lost.
Grants immunity to critical hits. Injury and fatigue times are reduced by 30%.
Grants 10 aim, crit, and defense if not within 4 tiles of an allied unit.
Lock N' Load
Reloading any weapon costs only 1 AP. Dashing automatically reloads the active weapon.
If at full HP, repulses any attack against this unit, causing it to graze (dealing only half of the original damage).
Grants +1.3 mobility and increases the movement bonus when dashing to +40% (from +20%).
Repairs damage sustained in battle: When damaged, gain servos equal to 35% of the damage sustained. Each servo can heal 1 HP. At end of turn, use half the servos available (minimum 1, if available).
Grants +3 armor HP, +0.6 mobility, 10% throw range, and a 10% chance for all end-in-idle actions to cost 0 AP.
Bring 'Em On
Grants additional shot damage equal to half the number of enemies in sight. Grants additional aim and graze chance equal to 5x the number of enemies in sight.
This unit does not trigger reaction shots or Pursuit when walking (not dashing). After repositioning, grants +2 crit dmg until next turn. Grants +0.6 mobility.
Vital Point Targeting
Steadied shots, reaction shots, or shots at targets not protected by cover deal 30% more damage when hitting humans or autopsied biological aliens.
Marauders essentially act like the MEC version of Assaults; their goal is to dive into enemy lines, deliver a crippling punch, then either shoot for more damage, tank shots with One for All, or get out, all possible thanks to the free action Onslaught provides. As that SPEC perk may imply, the Kinetic Strike Module is a core item on every Marauder.
Marauders aren't as tanky as the likes of a Shogun or Goliath can be, but they can hold their own in a pinch with an appropriate build, unlike a Jaeger which doesn't have a choice.
Marauders that take Run and Gun are very much like the Assaults that they came from. With a high natural mobility and plenty of ways to increase it even further through perks and items, this build can be anywhere any time that Run and Gun is active, and is also a prime candidate for taking advantage of Ram and its movement scaling. This build's shot damage will be lacking against anything mechanical or crit-resistant, however; KSM can make up for this weakness but is incompatible with Run and Gun, so positioning is important. Additionally, this build is never going to be especially tanky; be careful if multiple enemies are around.
Sample RnG Build:
Run and Gun -> Brawler or Fortified -> Lone Wolf or Lock N' Load -> Sprinter -> Extra Conditioning or Bring 'Em On -> Any
Recommended Equipment: Kinetic Strike Module, All other MEC secondaries, Any MEC Suit, Damage-increasers, Aim-increasers, Ammo-increasers, Survivability-increasers
- Both MEC Suits can work well for this build; go with whichever suit your CPL perk encourages, but note that even with a heavy MEC suit, your tanking will be limited.
- Besides the mandatory KSM, other MEC secondaries all have their own uses for this build:
- Grenade Launchers, Gravity Mines, Flamethrowers, and Electropulses all give you additional options you can use after closing in on a previous turn with Run and Gun (or just using your high mobility to blue move).
- Restorative Mist is solid on any MEC with a consistent game-plan as it has a completely passive component to it.
- A few ranks have versatile perk choices:
- At CPL, Brawler is a damage and aim increase that will prove useful with an aggressive build such as this, but the survivability of Fortified opens up more opportunities to be aggressive in the first place due to the lower risk.
- At SGT, Lone Wolf is almost always going to be active and helps when taking wider flanks, and Lock N' Load makes ammo management trivial with high-cap mags as the 4th shot lets you Run and Gun off cooldown and always have ammo.
- At GSGT, Extra Conditioning gives you more flexibility in what you can do and how often due to the stats and free action chance, and Bring 'Em On is a plain offense and defense bonus with its shot damage and graze chance.
- At MSGT, Shadowstep makes punching easier while adding some extra crit damage to all shots, and Vital Point Targeting makes your flank shots significantly stronger against biological targets specifically.
Close Combat Specialist Marauders function similarly to Run and Gun Assaults, dashing into the fray and dishing out damage with multiple CCS shots. This build represents the most damage a Marauder can dish out most of the time, but also at the cost of being the least tanky due to the inability to use One for All alongside Close Combat Specialist.
Sample CCS Build:
Close Combat Specialist -> Brawler or Fortified -> Lock N' Load -> Sprinter -> Repair Servos or Bring 'Em On -> Vital Point Targeting
Recommended Equipment: Kinetic Strike Module, Restorative Mist, Heavy MEC Suit, Survivability-increasers, Damage-increasers
- A heavy MEC suit is recommended as the nature of a CCS build puts you into dangerous situations frequently.
- Beyond the mandatory KSM, the Restorative Mist works well as a mostly passive equipment for a build that can struggle with action economy.
- This build can specialize in more damage or more tankiness:
- At CPL, Brawler naturally synergizes with CCS shots for more damage, while Fortified works particularly well for adding tankiness to MECs that aren't utilizing One for All.
- At GSGT, Repair Servos represents a ton of healing for any MEC under constant fire, while Bring 'Em On is a mixed damage and survivability increase.
Jetboot Marauders are about as "pure" as a Marauder can get, focusing heavily on punching enemies wherever they may be. For this build, the free action of Onslaught will often be used to enter One for All after diving to punch an enemy particularly deep in enemy lines, or to move out of sight. A Marauder under the effects of the Jetboot Module has the most mobility of any MEC, especially if using a light MEC suit; Onslaught's bonus Ram perk can be quite powerful in this context.
Sample Jetboot Build: Jetboot Module -> Grit -> Repulsor -> Sprinter -> Repair Servos or Extra Conditioning -> Shadowstep
Recommended Equipment: Kinetic Strike Module, Restorative Mist, Any MEC Suit, Damage-increasers, Survivability-increasers
- A heavy MEC suit is likely the default choice for this build due to the power of punching before going into One for All, but a light MEC suit can work as well, leveraging the Marauder's insane mobility to punch high value targets before ducking into positions it can't be shot itself.
- Beyond the mandatory KSM, Restorative Mist works well as a mostly passive equipment for a build that already has a clear plan in how it wants to spend its turns.
- At GSGT, Repair Servos greatly enhances the overall amount of tanking this build can do, while Extra Conditioning gives even more mobility and may be the choice for a light MEC suit Marauder.