Officers have a separate upgrade path for soldiers, granting abilities that benefit the entire squad. Officer's cannot receive genetic modifications, psionic training, or be augmented for MECs.
To begin promoting officers, an Officer Training School is required, which becomes available for construction after a soldier reaches the rank of corporal. Once it is built, officer upgrades can be purchased in the OTS menu to make billets available.
Any soldier that has the rank of at least Corporal, isn't a MEC Trooper or a Psionic or has Gene Mods and has participated in at least 1 mission can be promoted to Lieutenant as long as there is an open billet left. After that, further promotions, in addition to another OTS upgrade, require that:
- The officer must have been on at least 1 mission (modified by Campaign Length) at his current officer rank.
- The officer must have gained a certain minimum standard rank – for example, Sergeant or higher is required for a promotion to Captain.
- The officer with higher will stat will be commanding a mission if several officers of the same rank are on the squad.
- All officers gain the perk Commanding Officer upon their first promotion, which grants them the ability to Command once.
- Officers are the only units that can call either a Tactical Retreat or Air Strike.
- Officers gain an additional Command charge at Major (2 charges total) and Field Commander (3 charges total).
- Each promotion presents a choice between one of two rank-specific Officer perks. This selection is permanent (and cumulative), but a different perk can be chosen for every officer.
- Only the perks of the commanding (highest-ranked) officer are beneficial to the entire squad during a battle. Officer perks of a second, lower-ranking officer present on a mission benefit only that officer.
If this is the highest ranking Officer: Gain Command (with 1 charge), resists 50% of the effects of red fog, officer perks affect all squadmates, and grants each squadmate in vision a percent chance for end-in-idle actions to cost 0 AP equal to double the number of enemies the squad can see.
Grant 1 AP to a 0 AP unit in sight and disable their AP discounting perks. Cannot be used on Covert Ops, SHIVs, units already Commanded, Overwatching, Steadying, or Hunkering. Can trigger Tactical Brilliance [Will/2% chance (max 50%) to cost 0 charges]. Does not trigger reaction fire. 0 AP cost.
Drop an extraction beacon and call Big Sky for a pick up. Big Sky will abandon the previous Evac location and travel to the beacon. Requires 1-2 turns before extraction. All units must within 8 tiles of the extraction beacon or will be MIA.
Call an Air Strike creating multiple explosions around all active enemies that are able to be targeted. Will occur at the end of the current turn and only once per mission. Requires support from the local air force to be enabled.
|Officer Rank||Minimum Level Requirement||Officer Ability|
Strength in Numbers
Squad receives +1 will per squad member. Officers gain Commanding Officer [Various Abilities, +1 Command Charge] and +15 will.
Squad fatigue reduced by 10%. Officers gain Commanding Officer [Various Abilities, +1 Command Charge] and +0.6 mobility.
Squadmates gain +3 defense per enemy the squad can see when protected by cover. Officers gain +15 base defense.
Squadmates gain +4% DR per enemy the squad can see when protected by cover. Officers gain +3 base HP.
Show 'Em the Ropes
All soldiers in the squad at less than 3000 xp gain 300% mission experience. Officers gain +3 base HP and +1 Command.
Tricks of the Trade
All soldiers in the squad at 1200 xp or higher gain 120% mission experience. Officers gain +10 aim and +1 Command.
Squad receives +10 defense when protected by cover and +1 aim per enemy in sight. Officers gain +10 aim.
Squad receives +10 defense when protected by cover and +4 will per enemy in sight. Officers gain +20 base will.
Increases the chance Commanding Officer makes end-in-idle actions of squadmates in vision cost 0 AP by 50%. Officers gain +5 base HP and +1 Command.
All weapons and equipment deal +1 damage. Officer's provide this to the squad. Officers gain +1.3 base mobility and +1 Command.
Each officer rank is unlocked by purchasing an upgrade in the Officer Training School. It unlocks a number of officer billets for the new rank and prior ranks. Purchasing these upgrades costs money and requires a certain number of total successful missions. When an officer is killed or retired, the billet will cycle back and become available again after a few missions.
|Name||Required Successful Missions
(modified by Campaign Length)
|Captains||40||§200||2x CAPT, 2x LT|
|Majors||50||§300||1x MAJ, 1x CAPT, 1x LT|
|Colonels||60||§400||1x COL, 1x MAJ, 1x CAPT, 1x LT|
|Field Commander||80||§500||1x CMDR, 1x COL, 1x MAJ, 1x CAPT, 1x LT|
Total number of billets unlocked: 7x Lieutenant, 5x Captain, 3x Major, 2x Colonel, 1x Field Commander.
|Soldier Ranks Required for Promotion|
|Solder Rank||Officer Rank Available|
|Master Sergeant||Field Commander|