The Rocketeer class is similar to vanilla. Their signature ability is Fire Rocket.
- Primary Weapon: Assault Rifles, Battle Rifles, Carbines, SMGs.
- Secondary Weapon: Rocket Launcher.
- Class-Limited items: Rocket Launcher, Extra Rocket, Javelin Rocket.
Grants the ability to use and equip a rocket launcher. Rocket scatter is unaffected by aim but decreases by 4% per HP above average. Firing a rocket with less than 2 AP triples scatter. 2 turn cooldown.
Light 'Em Up
Standard shots gain +1 damage and +10 crit for every instance of damage their target took this turn and cost only 1 AP.
Smoke and Mirrors
Using a support grenade costs only 1 AP and will not trigger non-suppression reaction shots. Equipped support grenades receive an additional use.
Using a destructive grenade or MiNE costs only 1 AP and deals +1 damage. Equipped destructive grenades and MiNEs receive an additional use. For MECs only: Gain 30% throw range when using One For All.
Firing at a target during this unit's turn holos [Prevents concealment/stealth, incoming shots gain +10 aim and +1 penetration] them for 3 turns. Units with this perk gain double the aim and penetration.
Gunners/Exalt: Suppression affects (with half suppressive fire damage) targets in a 2.5 tile radius around the primary target. Rocketeers/Engineers/Goliaths: +35% radius and +1 damage to explosives.
Equipped medikits, grenades, and mists receive an additional use. Grants +1 ammo to non-arc primary weapons.
The primary weapon gains +2 penetration.
Explosives deal +1 damage and double environmental damage. Grants +20% throw range.
Concussion and Psi grenades Shred [Applies shred equal to the damage dealt (+20 if the target wasn't shredded), and then subsequent damage the target receives is increased by the amount of shred] their targets for 20 shred. Acid grenades strip 35% of armor HP on detonation. Grants +20% throw range.
Shock and Awe
Rocket launchers, extra equipped rockets, grenade launchers, and MiNE launchers gain an additional use. Grants Slayer.
All weapons and equipment deal bonus % weapon damage equal to the target's current HP.
Explosives gain +4 penetration and double the chance to disorient a target through Concussive Blast.
Explosives gain +2 penetration and have a 100% chance to critically hit (dealing 150% damage). The chance is reduced to 50% if the target is protected by cover or hardened.
Explosives employed by this soldier do full damage at the extent of their area of effect (instead of 50%).
Bring 'Em On
Grants shots and grenades additional damage equal to half the number of enemies in sight or squadsight. Attacks against this unit have a chance to graze (dealing half their original damage) equal to 5x the number of enemies in sight or squadsight.
Grants +2 armor HP, +0.6 mobility, and a 10% chance for all end-in-idle actions to cost 0 AP.
Role: Crowd Control / Cover Destruction / Offensive Support
The Rocketeer's tactical role is best described as a support weapon. It is a slow and unwieldy class, but carries invaluable armament big enough to bring a FUBAR scenario under control given enough time. Their starting Fire Rocket perk grants a single rocket with a two turn cooldown between firing, and their other perks generally focus on adding a secondary supportive role to the Rocketeer between firing. It's always best for Rocketeers to fire with a steadied weapon, but firing with two AP in a pinch is still effective if the target area is at mid-range. Keep in mind that rocket scatter decreases by 4% per HP above average. Rocketeers should operate towards the rear of the squad, safe from any flanks or incoming fire.
Rocketeers do not benefit from a high aim stat and generally stay still to fire their weapon. Given that the rocketeer's armament can literally blow up an aggressor's position, positioning and therefore mobility is also generally unnecessary for this class, aside from a clear line of firing to the target.
Note that if you are playing without Red Fog, then the Rocketeer's tactical potential will be considerably stunted.
Light 'Em Up Rocketeer
The LeU Rocketeer is a hybrid build packing the useful long range explosive prowess of the class with some added fire support capabilities. The combination of Light 'Em Up and Holo Rounds - which allows tagging two targets or focusing down one target - is a valuable addition to any squad. This is especially true early on when XCOM aim values are quite low and straight shooting is unreliable. When rockets are on cooldown, this build plays much like an Infantry, but with a focus on utility and penetration instead of raw damage output and noticeably less mobility.
Sample Light 'Em Up Build: Light 'Em Up -> Holo Rounds -> Penetrator -> Shock And Awe -> Any -> Bring 'Em On
Recommended Weapons: Assault rifle, Battle Rifle, Arc rifle
Recommended Equipment: Ammo-increasers, Aim-increasers, Javelin Rocket, Special ammo.
- Access to Light 'Em Up makes the Arc rifle a viable option for a large burst of damage against hard to crack Mechs. Keep in mind however that this choice prevents the Rocketeer from defending himself in close combat, especially against bios, as the class doesn't have access to secondary weapons.
- The GSGT perk is flexible for pretty much every Rocketeer build:
- Heat Warheads is the utility option, doubling the chance of disorienting. It's also helpful when cover DR comes into play.
- Fragmentation is great for Javelins and gives your regular rockets the potential to nuke enemies. It's unreliable, however.
- Tandem Warheads is the crowd control option, giving a modest increase in damage that's especially noticeable in crowds with aliens at the edge of the blast.
- None of the traditional soldier upgrade paths are a particularly significant increase in power for this build, but this also means any of them are fine to invest in.
Smoke and Mirrors Rocketeer
The S&M Rocketeer bundles rockets and reaction immune support grenades in an efficient if somewhat slow package. This lack of mobility is however mitigated by the longest support grenades throws in the game thanks to a high HP growth and Tinker. Consequently, this build can use Concussion and Acid grenades from extended ranges to safely debuff dangerous targets. Early access to Packmaster allows up to 6 of these throws for some good staying power in longer missions. Finally, rockets are always a good fallback if the use of support grenades isn't optimal during a turn.
Sample Smoke and Mirrors Build: Smoke and Mirrors -> Packmaster -> Tinker -> Shock And Awe -> Any -> Extra Conditioning
Recommended Weapons: Carbine, Arc Rifle
Recommended Equipment: Concussion grenades/Psi grenades(psi), Acid grenades, Smoke grenades, Javelin, Mobility-increasers, Psi Frayer.
- Like the previous build, any GSGT perk will do the job: HEAT Warheads for utility, Fragmentation for damage (especially on Javelins), and Tandem Warheads for crowd control (especially on regular rockets).
- Psi is a strong choice to add some more team support or single target debuffing. Psi also unlocks the use of Psi grenades and Psi Frayer for some more exotic support options.
- Officer training is another strong choice for this build, as the health increases for throw range and added support potential mesh well together.
- Smoke grenades can be used better by other classes, but are equally effective against Overwatch and still profit from the extended range of the build.
The Grenadier Rocketeer foregoes any notion of a hybrid build to bring a withering array of explosive ordnance to the battlefield. With long range throws and access to boosted rockets, this build can deliver destruction at any range and will leave many an alien exposed, disoriented, or dead in the aftermath. The low mobility of the class is however worsened by the heavy weight of explosive equipment. Moreover, this build is left with no useful options once that equipment runs out and is thus a good candidate for Psi training or Officer training.
Sample Grenadier Build: Grenadier -> Danger Zone -> Sapper -> Shock and Awe -> Any -> Extra Conditioning
Recommended Weapons: Carbine, Arc Rifle
Recommended Equipment: HE grenades, AP grenades, Alien/Plasma grenades, Mobility-increasers, Javelin, Shaped Charges, Psi Frayer.
- Just like on the other builds, the GSGT perk is a choice between the utility of HEAT Warheads, the raw damage of Fragmentation, and the crowd control of Tandem Warheads.
- Any field of improvements will work well with this build, but Psi and Officers provide the most benefit due to their abilities that work independent of grenade count.