For the original written mostly in 2006-2007, see discussion page.
A stun raid is just a normal raid but instead of destruction, X-Com targets the security forces of any non-hostile organisation to steal their weapons, ammunition, devices and any exotic equipment by not killing anyone, not damaging anything, and not doing anything to cause hostility. ...because, why pay for something when you can steal it!
The three things to use in stun raiding:
and if your hybrid agents are good enough:
- Agents do not need to wear armor (except to fly), and don't need a medikit.
- Ten agents can fit into the initial Valkyrie.
- Dual-wield stun grapples for rapid fire.
- Stun grenades on belt, loot in the backpack.
- The mind bender can be used to stun or mind control.
- Spread agents around the battlescape to steal spawned items.
- Disable fire at will for any agent holding an offensive weapon (it will be reloaded if you have the ammo for it).
- Use the grapple at close range as to not miss, pick up loot ...next!
- Position agents loosely around a group of neutrals, throw stun grenades in a cluster bomb fashion, they will run from the gas and into grapple range if done right.
- Convince neutrals it is past their bedtime, then help yourself!
- Prevent neutrals from escaping the battle by standind near exit-tiles.
- X-Com agents increase their accuracy and reactions faster by shooting something rather than training back at base. The only standard equipment available that shoots and does not injure, is a Stun Grapple.
To limit tactical mission score:
- Escape (blue exit tiles) instead of completing the raid.
- Terminate the battle early to save time! At any time, press escape key (ESC) and if the message is: "0 Units Lost", click OK to safely end the raid. Avoid leaving agents behind since they are 'missing in action'. To not lose agents, they must be far away from neutrals.
- Stolen ammunition of these weapons: Law Pistol, M4000, Sniper Rifle, Autocannon, do not contribute to score, everything else does!
- Grenades, devices, weapons should only be stolen if they are needed.
To raid in quick succession:
- Airbourne craft have a slight delay before flying off from a launch tube. Start another raid as usual before the craft has cleared the tube.
- Ground vehicles or troops must be directed back to the building to start another raid.
Battlescape size is dependant on the quantity of units.
- Using many agents may increase the size of the generated battlescape and allow more spawn locations.
- Using too many agents may decrease the quantity of neutrals.
Security will acquire alien technology as the weeks progress.
- Spawned items do not change with technology level (score is irrelevant).
- Ammunition scarcity will force X-Com to depend on the marketplace (if you still use such weapons).
- Stun grapple projectiles are blocked by personal shields, stun gas passes through.
Generated battlescape segments are randomly selected from a group, specific to the building.
- Segment properties (walls, features, layout, spawn locations, etc.) are not changed, only final placement.
- Slum battlescapes do not use a segments but one whole map (larger battlescapes will generate two different whole-maps or one...).
Oddities and Quirks
Neutrals may throw ammunition, fire off rockets, play with primed grenades, pick up spawned items and escape.
The numbers indicate quantity.
Slum building battlescapes are unique in that they are generated as whole maps and not from segments. Spawn locations relevant to the seven slum maps do not change: (whole map
segment properties (walls, features, layout, spawn locations, etc.) are static.
The spawn locations are listed by using a simple (tedious) co-ordinates system.
- The isometric view of the battlescape has a corner at each compass point, hence, the top corner being North, the left corner being West, etc.
- The cursor (a rectangular box) is one cell in size.
Directions are given from the absolute north of the map, being cell 1,1.
- eg: Lev 05 - 23SW, 18SE means that the item is on Level 5 of the map and is how many cells you must count in that compass direction from 1,1.
A map with trees, grass, and some building rubble. Grass has overgrown the road in the south.
- Lev 01 - 20SW,16SE - on ground next to I-beam rubble.
A map with a large bridge over a road. Building rubble is underneath the arch.
- Lev 01 - 25SW,10SE - on ground near blue arcade machine.
A map with a plantation of trees near the west and a large multistorey building with seperate gravlift structure.
- Lev 01 - 26SW,14SE - on floor inside the garden shed inside the plantation.
- Lev 01 - 28SW,25SE - on floor inside the garden shed, inside the rubble area, opposite the plantation.
- Lev 02 - 14SW,21SE - on floor beside coffee table.
- Lev 02 - 13SW, 9SE - on floor beside table.
A map with a cemetary. The large building resembles a castle.
- Lev 01 - 11SW,32SE - on floor inside the garden shed situated inside the cemetary.
- Lev 01 - 12SW,27SE - on ground, on top of the dirt mound of grave owner, Andy Greene.
- Lev 08 - 19SW, 7SE - on ground, on top of the castle tower which is on the right when exiting the door.
- Lev 08 - 31SW, 7SE - on ground, on top of the castle tower which is on the left when exiting the door.
A map with a large building and a car parking area in the center.
- Lev 02 - 6SW,34SE - on floor near oval table.
- Lev 02 - 13SW,10SE - on floor at far wall.
- Lev 04 - 28SW,16SE - on floor at middle of room.
- Lev 02 - 28SE,23SE - on chair next to door.
- Lev 04 - 28SW,21SE - in hand basin left of door.
- Lev 04 - 29SW,27SE - on floor near wall.
- Lev 02 - 28SW,34SE - on coffee table.
A map with a massive building supported on eight large foundations, and an external fire escape.
- Lev 04 - 28SW,27SE - on large table against near wall.
- Lev 04 - 28SW, 5SE - on cupboard against external wall.
- Lev 04 - 34SW,10SE - on cupboard closer to windows.
- Lev 04 - 26SW,12SE - on floor between beds.
- Lev 06 - 12SW, 5SE - on coffee table near external wall.
- Lev 06 - 5SW,32SE - on box next to window.
- Lev 06 - 12SW,30SE - on bed.
- Lev 06 - 12SW,21SE - in air (!) just inside doorway
- Lev 06 - 8SW,21SE - on cupboard next to chair.
A map with a railway terminal building, a car park, and an elevated railway.
- Lev 01 - 2SW,16SE - in hand basin just left of door.
- Lev 04 - 54SW,10SE - on elevated rail line between the two rail track pairs.
- Lev 01 - 86SW,32SE - inside carpark ticket booth at far wall.
Overhead view of the battlescape will show items as a purple dot. Spawns that are missing have been stolen.
X-Com agents needed (#) to get the items in the shortest time:
- Grasslands - (1) in the middle.
- The Bridge - (1) underneath westside blue box.
- Drug Plantation - (1) tree shed, (1) rubble shed, (1) two rooms (lowest balconies) inside living.
- Graveyard Castle - (1) grave and shed, (1) towers on building (prefer flying agent).
- U-Shaped Hotel - (3) three doors agent each south west side level two, both, level four, (1) first door other side level two, (1) middle right door level two far wall (need overhead view to see most).
- Central Elevator - (1) level four, west corner, (1) level four south corner middle, (1) level six east corner, (1) level six north corner.
- Railway Station - (1) car park ticket booth, (1) terminal toilet back north corner, (1) chainlink fence farside carpark trainline above (prefer flying agent).