Hi, there are so many mods out there, I have been wondering which to install and in what order, to get my game modified?
I actually have 3 problems: 1. The scroll speed is far too fast, even when I set scroll speed to 1. What mods or methods should I use to make EU playable? (TFTD seems to work just fine for some reason) 2. I'd like to try avoiding the game crashing every now and then bug. 3. I would like to avoid the base disjoint bug. I can avoid this by using XcomUtils RunXcom.bat, but then the speed automatically goes too fast. Sigh. Jasonred 18:55, 10 May 2011 (EDT)
For 1. and 3. use Ufo Extender, open Ufo Extender.ini in editor and set Tactical Scroll=1 and Base Disjoint=1 in the Bug fix section. You may find other bugfixes useful as well. For 2. there is no obvious help other than saving a lot. --kyrub 21:05, 10 May 2011 (EDT)
- Wowee. Thanks. I'll give it a shot, hopefully it doesn't conflict with Xcumutil or something. BTW, does anyone know whether the Steam version crashes? Or did they introduce the fix they found for TFTD?
- Edit: Darnit, just tried it out and UFO Extender seems to have garbled graphics during the intro, geoscape, etc etc. Sigh. And, yes, I did change Video Pitch=1.
- Edit: Weird. It appears that running the game without any loader at all seems to result in working graphics, but using Extender garbles the graphics. How strange...
- Edit: Also. xcomutil refuses to be compliant with ufo extender. huh. Jasonred 21:27, 10 May 2011 (EDT)
- Two possibilities: 1) you make a clean install, avoid Xcomutil totally and go for Extender only. It works like a treat. 2) (harder) You download the LATEST Xcomutil 9.7 version, because this can cooperate with Extender. You make a clean install. You copy Extender in the file. Then you run Xcomutil installer, there's a new question "Do you want to use Extender?", you reply Yes. Now, the garbled graphics may still appear, you have to switch it on in Extender or Xcomutil and switch it off in the other one (this worked for me). Personnally, I'd try using Extender's Video pitch=1, and no Xcomutil's loader (reply No on xcusetup). But I cannot recall which way, you'll find it through trial and error.--kyrub 04:10, 11 May 2011 (EDT)
This gold edition I'm using is really funky. And now I'm trying the dos4gw version and that doesn't seem to be compatible with the extender either.
Edit: I managed to get the dos version running with xcomutil, and it seems fine. Would have liked to be able to use Extender, but I don't seem to be able to make it load the dos version. Jasonred 17:17, 11 May 2011 (EDT)
- The Extender's designed only to work with the Windows edition only. That is: CE/Gold. -NKF 03:06, 12 May 2011 (EDT)
Using these with a digital distribution platform
I got the games off Gamestop Now for cheap a while back. However, they install under 2K games and use DOSBox. Does anybody know how to use a save editor when it's been installed like this? I tried XCOMHack but it couldn't find the save files no matter where I targetted the base game directory. -Ciago92, 4 September 2012
- So far, no one's said anything on the "download reviews" area, but this would be important to know. If you find them, please make a note there. Hmm, if the digital distribution packages have moved the savegames, I wonder if they break a lot of third-party utilities? BTW please sign edits with four tildes (~~~~). Thanks! -MikeTheRed 09:32, 4 September 2012 (EDT)
Does anyone know any good soldier re-organising mods? --Ditto51 14:52, 13 September 2012 (EDT)
- If your referring to the ability to change the order that your soldiers appear in a transport, you can use XcomUtil for the DOS version or the Extender for the Windows version. Tycho 23:31, 13 September 2012 (EDT)