- There are two types of soldier training available in Apocalypse: Combat and Psionics Training. Combat training deals with exercising physical stats while psionic deals with exercising psionic stats.
- Training is restricted to humans and hybrids.
- Bases need to be equipped with a Training Area or Psi-Gym in order for soldiers assigned to them to conduct Combat or Psionics training.
- Bravery cannot be trained except in battle (which can also improve the physical attributes except Strength).
- Only uninjured soldiers can train.
- Each area or gym can train up to 10 soldiers. It is possible to assign more than 10 soldiers but the effectiveness of training will be reduced.
Every midnight a soldier in combat training has a chance of improving combat stats (Health, Accuracy, Reactions, TU, Stamina, and Strength) and a soldier in psionic training has a chance of improving psionic stats (Psi-energy, Psi-attack and Psi-defense).
- The chance of improvement is (maximum stat value - current stat value)%.
- Maximum for Health, Reactions, TU, Stamina and Strength is 100. Maximum for Accuracy is 96. Maximum for psionic stats is (3 * starting stat value).
- If improvement is triggered, Health, Accuracy, Reactions, TU, Strength and Psi-energy improve by 1 point. Stamina improves by half a point. Psi-attack and Psi-defense improve by floor(Psi-energy/20) points (which will be 0 if Psi-energy is less than 20).
- In addition, there is a hard cap of 100 on Psi-energy and Psi-attack, and 99 on Psi-defense. Improvement above these values will be ignored.
- While it might naïvely seem like a good idea to psi-train humans to shore up their weak Psi-defense, in practice this is not very rewarding due to the training formulae:
- Humans start with 5-20 Psi-energy, and until Psi-energy reaches 20 Psi-defense cannot be improved (even if an improvement is rolled, it will improve by 0 points).
- The initial chance for improvement of a psionic stat is (2 * starting stat value)%. This means that humans start with somewhere between a 10% and 40% chance of improving Psi-energy; hybrids start with somewhere between 60% and 90%.
- This means a human with 15 Psi-energy will need roughly two and a half weeks of psionic training, and a human with 10 Psi-energy roughly ten weeks, before they even have a chance of improving Psi-defense (and a human with 5 or 6 Psi-energy will never get there, as their maximum Psi-energy is less than 20).
- Training is a long term investment. It will require some money to invest on facilities and soldiers but it will allow for large squads of trained personnel.
- Every base should have a Training Area. That way soldiers assigned to them will improve their stats even if they are assigned merely on a garrison role. With time those agents will make great improvements on their stats, allowing for a large trained pool of rookie replacements.
- A variation is to set a base as a Training base and built 2-3 training facilities with enough crew to use all training slots. It is important to keep those soldiers away from combat since injured soldiers can't benefit from training and it slows their improvement. Given enough time, trainees can even max their stats before going on their first mission.
- Psionic training usually requires only 1 or 2 Psi-Gyms, depending on how many hybrids you are employing.
- Hybrids should be assigned to either of the two gyms as early in their career as possible, as they will be spending the most time training of all the races. Either assign them all to the same gym, or split them and alternate at a later date.