* * * XCOM: Enemy Unknown Demo released today on Steam! * * *
All soldiers report to the hangar immediately! 2K Games announced today the release of a playable demo of XCOM: Enemy Unknown in antecipation of coming release of the game in October 9th (International) and 12th (US).
- The Demo that consists of two tutorial missions, with a visit to the XCOM base between the missions.
- It can be downloaded at Steam's page after 10AM (Pacific US time) or 18PM(GMT).
* * * XCOM: Enemy Unknown by Firaxis Games to release October 2012. * * *
X-COM fans rejoice! The remake of the 1994 classic UFO: Enemy Unknown (or XCOM: UFO Defense) will be released on October 9th, 2012 in North America and October 12th, 2012 internationally.
- The demo of the game has been showed at for the E3 convention and there's a trailer called 'Last Stand' available at YouTube.
- It will return the franchise to turn-based tactical combat with real-time management but instead of TUs, soldiers can perform two actions per turn: move and take a non-movement action or move twice.
- In one of the lastest interviews, Jake Solomon, Lead Designer, has revealed that they first made a prototype using the TU system before deciding to use the new system.
- Screenshots here, more info here.
- Here is a compiled list of information and features from the 2K Games Forum, which includes a plethora of links to source articles and videos. The YouTube videos provide links to even more XCOM: EU videos via the related suggestions list to the side of the video.
* * * New XCOM FPS Game by 2k Marin has been delayed multiple times, release is late 2013 or 2014 at the earliest. * * *
The game will focus on elite U.S. government operatives attempting to prevent a nightmarish invasion of the United States (while dropping the dash in X-COM). See:
- The official XCOM site (only a couple of trailers here)
- Some criticism of its change in focus (1, 2), although 2k Marin may be rethinking this
- 2k's XCOM forum, including passionate posts by X-Commies
- Once slated for March 2012 release, it has now slipped to a later date (1, 2).
* * * X-COM Complete Packages now available for less than $15 * * *
At GamersGate, Steam and Direct2Drive. (Includes UFO, TFTD, Apoc, Int, and Enf).
For "reviews", see this.