Gameplay Mechanics (EU2012)
In Enemy Unknown 2012 the gameplay has been streamlined regarding the previous games, with the intention use a simpler system than the one used by the predecessor of the original game. Thus, the Time Units have been removed and replaced instead with an action system, where each unit can perform 2 Actions during its turn.
List of Actions
These are general actions that can be perform by all your soldiers during the fight.
|Move||Walk, Grapple Hook Use.|
|Dash||Fast movement. Provides defensive bonus.|
|Fire||Shoot/Throw/Psi the enemy/area.|
4 types of weapon shots: Standard, Precision, Disabling and Free.
|Suppress||Fires at the area around the target to reduce its aim.|
|Overwatch||Takes a shot at the next enemy in sight that moves.|
|Reload||Spend a full action to reload weapon.|
|Hunker Down||Doubles cover bonus & provides immunity to critical hits, but reduces sight radius.|
|Equipment||Access and use equipment.|
A normal turn will have the unit doing Move + Fire (or other Action). The soldier's class and available perks also determine the options available for each Actions. The following rules are a brief summary of how Actions work:
- A unit may perform 1 or 2 Actions each turn.
- Some actions (use of Sniper Rifle or Rocket Launcher) may only be performed as the 1st Action in a turn.
- A unit's turn automatically ends after the unit:
- Dashes on its 1st Action.
- Performs any non-movement action on its 1st Action.
- Performs a 2nd Action after moving as the 1st Action.
- The following Abilities change the above rules:
- Bullet Swarm - Heavy can Fire + Fire/Move/Surpress/Overwatch.
- Double Tap - Sniper can can Fire + Fire.
- Run & Gun - Assault can Dash + Fire but not Dash + Equipment.