OpenXcom requires a vanilla version of the original X-COM resources. This includes:
- DOS Version 1.4: You can check if you have the correct version if the "SOUND\GM.CAT" file exists.
- Windows Version / Collector's Edition.
- Steam Version: You can find the game folder in "Steam\steamapps\common\xcom ufo defense\XCOM".
Do not use modded versions (eg. XcomUtil) as they may cause bugs and crashes.
Just copy the game subfolders (GEODATA, GEOGRAPH, MAPS, ROUTES, SOUND, TERRAIN, UFOGRAPH, UFOINTRO, UNITS) to OpenXcom's Data folder (usually the "data" subfolder).
The installer will automatically detect Steam installations and take care of the resource copying for you, just follow the instructions.
If installing manually, copy the resources to the data subfolder.
Mac OS X
Copy the resources to the application's data resource (right click the application > Show Package Contents > Contents > Resources > data).
OpenXcom requires the following libraries:
- SDL (libsdl1.2)
- SDL_mixer (libsdl-mixer1.2)
- TiMidity++ (timidity)
- SDL_gfx (libsdl-gfx1.2), version 2.0.22 or later
- yaml-cpp, version 0.3.0 or older
Check your distribution's package manager or the library website on how to install them.
If installing through a package manager, you should copy the resources to /usr/share/openxcom/data, otherwise the data subfolder is preferred.
In most cases the OpenXcom data is in the data subfolder, but it will also look in one of the following paths.
You can also specify your own path by passing the command-line argument "-data ". The X-COM and OpenXcom data can be in different folders.
- <working directory>\data
- <binary directory>\data
- C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents\OpenXcom\data
Mac OS X
- <application resources>\data (Mac OS X)
- ~/Library/Application Data/OpenXcom/data (Mac OS X)
- $XDG_DATA_HOME/openxcom/data (Linux)
- $XDG_DATA_DIRS/openxcom/data (Linux)
To make a portable version of OpenXcom, just put all the files in the same folder, with a "data" subfolder for the resources and a "user" subfolder for your saves and settings.