So you finally got tired of the vanilla experience? (shame on you)
Don't worry, there's dozens of fan-mods out there to keep things interesting, including custom maps, weapons, units and more. If you're interested in making your own, check Customizing.
- Aliens Pick Up Weapons: The AI will try to pick up weapons they dropped if they find themselves unarmed (eg. from panic or mind control).
- UFOextender Gun Melee: Adds a stun melee attack to every weapon (called Stun Fest in UFOextender). The TU/Damage is based on the weapon's class:
Weapon Class Stun Damage TU %s Pistols 20 15 Rifles and Small Launcher 50 40 "Heavy" weapons and Auto-Cannon 65 50 Launchers 80 80 Stun Rod (unchanged) 65 30
- UFOextender Psionic Line of Fire: Psionic weapons (both X-COM and aliens) can only be used with direct line-of-sight to the target.
- UFOextender Starting Avalanches: All starting X-COM craft come with Avalanche Missiles equipped.
- XcomUtil Always Daytime: Forces all ground missions to daytime. Not compatible with the mod below.
- XcomUtil Always Nighttime: Forces all ground missions to nighttime. Not compatible with the mod above.
- XcomUtil Fighter Transports: Allows fighter craft (Interceptor and Firestorm) to carry soldiers and tanks to ground missions.
- XcomUtil High Explosive Damage: Increases the High Explosive damage to 200, letting it pierce UFO walls.
- XcomUtil Improved Ground Tanks: Gives ground Tanks the same stats as Hovertanks.
- XcomUtil Improved Heavy Laser: Increases the damage and accuracy of the Heavy Laser.
- XcomUtil No Psionics: Removes all Psi tech from the game, both X-COM and alien.
- XcomUtil Pistol Auto Shot: Gives the standard-issue Pistol an auto shot.
- XcomUtil Skyranger Weapon Slot: Gives the Skyranger a craft weapon slot.
- XcomUtil Starting Defensive Base: Moves the starting 3 Hangars to the top to make the base easier to defend in Base Defense missions.
- XcomUtil Starting Improved Base: Gives the starting base a Large Radar, Alien Containment, 50 scientists and 20 engineers.
- XcomUtil Starting Defensive Improved Base: Combination of the two mods above.
- XcomUtil Statstrings: Soldiers get Statstrings added to their names based on their stats.
Downloading & Installing
However they're nothing compared to the plethora of fan mods out there! You can usually find them on these websites:
To install them, check the individual instructions included by the mod author. Most mods just need to be extracted into your Data Folder, but some require special steps and instructions.
If you did everything correctly, you should now find your mod listed in-game in the Options > Mods section. If it's not showing up, recheck your installation. Common mistakes include extracting it to the wrong folder or into a subfolder in the Data directory. Note that you can only change mods from the Main Menu.
After you enable any mods, the game will restart to load them and the mod changes will now be in effect. These apply to any saved game, new or loaded. Be careful when changing and swapping mods of existing saved games, as removing mods used by a game may cause serious bugs and crashes. Total conversions in particular are best used on new games.
If you experience problems or bugs while playing with mods, be sure to isolate them to the problematic mod first (to see if the bug comes from a specific mod or combination of them) and report them to the respective mod author.