Mutons have high stats and armor and are resistant to AP ammunition, making them quite hard to defeat with an inexperienced force. Fortunately they have a relatively low Intelligence score, and will "forget" the whereabouts of your soldiers after only 4 turns. They are also highly susceptible to psionic attacks.
Despite their greater survivability, Muton reactions give them only a medium level of aggression; less than Sectoids and Ethereals, but more than Floaters. They tend to engage in concealed sniping a bit more than most species, which arguably makes them more dangerous than their health or armour does. They become comic relief for a player with lots of psionics, but should be approached cautiously otherwise. Heavy plasma is the preferred weapon class for use against them; while laser rifles will work, many more rounds per kill will be required, which allows them time to return fire.
TUs: 56-64 Health: 125 Energy: 90-104 Reactions: 60-74 Strength: 70-75 Bravery: 80 Firing Accuracy: 27-66 Throwing Accuracy: 62 Psi Skill: N/A Psi Strength: 25-29
This humanoid creature is physically powerful and intelligent. They have a particular appetite for consuming raw flesh of any kind, which they need for sustenance like earth based carnivores. They appear to rely on telepathic commands from a race known as 'Ethereals'. Once separated from this telepathic link their mental system appears to break down and they die. The cybernetic implants are used to enhance their combat performance. They are clearly the foot soldiers for a higher intelligence.
The 'skin' of this creature appears to be an organically created protective armour which is grafted onto the body. There are numerous cybernetic implants which are used to enhance the cardio-vascular system and the senses. The reproductive organs appear to have been surgically removed. Evidently these unfortunate creatures are limited to a life of warfare and conquest. Armour piercing ammunition is not very effective against their toughened skin.
A classic case of Find The Muton
The following are some miscellaneous notes on the Muton:
- The Muton takes 0.6x damage from armour-piercing weaponry.
- Very high Health. A Superhuman-grade Muton standing on a High Explosive will usually survive.
- Very high Strength.
- Very high Energy.
- Average Reactions.
- Is fast (high TUs).
- Average Firing and Throwing Accuracy.
- Very low Psi Strength.
- There are no Muton Leaders, Commanders, or even Medics. In crew setups where these classes appear, they will be substituted by Muton soldiers .
- Mr. Angry Red Suit as seen in the opening animation does not appear in the game.
- While the troops on the ground can see them just fine, neglectful Commanders might lose track of Mutons in vegetation, especially on Jungle maps, as their green armor blends in well with flora. Use the target centering boxes down the right side of the screen or the overhead map to assist locating them.
- They can be seen in the intro. Apart from Mr. Angry Red Suit, they are the only aliens seen there.
|X-COM: Enemy Unknown/UFO Defense|
|X-COM||Soldiers • Heavy Weapons Platforms|
|Aliens:|| Floater • Sectoid • Snakeman • Ethereal • Muton|
|Stats||Time Units • Energy (Stamina) • Health • Bravery • Reactions • Firing Accuracy • Throwing Accuracy • Strength • Psionic Strength • Psionic Skill • Melee Accuracy • Stun • Morale • Rank • Fatal Wounds|
|Data||Alien Stats • Damage Modifiers • Alien Appearance Ratios • Alien Weapon Loadouts|