X-COMs performance is measured by way of a score that accrues monthly and is used in part to make the decisions of the funding countries in both their council deliberations on the organisations success, and also when making their individual judgements to change funding levels.
X-COM receive points each time a UFO is destroyed or grounded. Note that if a UFO 'crashes' (per Intercept popup) over the ocean, it only counts as 'grounded' as the funding countries cannot be sure the aliens do not have the ability to repair craft and return from an underwater crash site, and there is no way to do a UFO Crash Recovery in the oceans to be sure.
|UFO Type||UFO Destroyed||UFO Grounded|
However, it is actually impossible to destroy a Supply Ship, Terror Ship or Battleship, unless you use a game editor.
X-COM lose points if one of their own craft are destroyed.
|Craft Type||Craft Destroyed|
During an X-COM battlescape mission, points can be gained or lost by the following actions.
Note that if you abort the mission without completing it, you still get points for performing the actions below. Specifically, you have to kill aliens and/or drag stunned aliens, equipment, and/or Elerium back to your ship (or base green area - NOT the red elevator area). Aliens that were killed in a UFO crash (already dead when you got there) do not count. (Briefly visiting a crash site, then dusting off, doesn't get you any points - you have to do things to get points.)
Also note that generally speaking, you get more points from Destroying small UFOs, than for Crashing them and then completing a ground mission. The reverse is true for large UFOs. (Compare Destroying vs. Grounding points vs. Points you can walk away from a Crash with.)
However, the salvage value of UFOs may be of greatest importance -- and no equipment can be recovered from destroyed UFOs. The greatest possible recovery value can be gotten from UFOs which are attacked after they land under their own power -- although that earns you no Interception points.
|Civilian killed by X-COM||-50|
|Civilian killed by Aliens||-30|
|X-COM soldier MIA||-20|
|X-COM soldier killed||-20*|
|Alien Base destroyed||500|
* This increases as the soldier gains rank and experience.
X-COM receives point for capturing or killing an Alien during a battlescape mission.
However, it is actually impossible to capture a live Sectopod or Cyberdisk.
* You will only receive 10 points for capturing any alien species + rank combo already in containment. Ethereal Cereal: What about ones that have been researched & are no longer in containment? Needs more testing. tequilachef: I repeatedly got zero points for capturing Reapers while already having a bunch of them in containment, but not researched.
Collection of Alien Artefacts, corpses and craft parts also gains X-COM points. An "artefact" is something you have yet to research that was carried by the aliens (weapons, ammo and Mind Probe). Once you research an artefact you no longer receive points for finding that item in future missions. This is a reason not to research alien weapons you likely won't use such as the Plasma Pistol. Items that spawn in the Battlescape (as opposed to alien inventories) continue to generate X-Com points after they have been researched.
|Heavy Plasma Clip||1|
|Plasma Pistol Clip||1|
|Plasma Rifle Clip||1|
|Elerium-115 (Per 50 units)||5|
|UFO Power Source||20|
An evaluation on your total score is given at the end of each mission.
|Excellent||501 or better|
|Good||201 to 500|
|OK||1 to 200|
|Poor||-199 to 0|
|Terrible||-200 or worse|
X-COM also receive points for the completion of research projects.
|Plasma Pistol Clip||5|
|Plasma Rifle Clip||6|
|Heavy Plasma Clip||7|
|Craft Laser Cannon||10|
|Craft Fusion Weapon||25|
|Craft Plasma Weapon||25|
|New Fighter Craft (Firestorm)||30|
|New Fighter-Transporter (Lightning)||30|
|Ultimate Craft (Avenger)||30|
|Alien Autopsies (Each)||50|
|Cydonia or Bust||60|
|The Martian Solution||60|
* Alien Reproduction is normally not accessible (or researchable) during the game, but you can add one to your General Stores via hacking.
** You receive 50 points for each new UFOpaedia entry generated by an alien interrogation. A given alien can generate several UFOpaedia entries, or none at all. (See Researching aliens for more information.)
Aliens score points for various actions as well.
|Each UFO that flies over the Earth (per 30 mins)||1|
|Each UFO that lands (per 30 mins)||2|
|Each day an alien base exists on Earth (Per base)||5|
|A terror mission in a remote area is performed successfully*||10|
|A harvest mission is performed successfully*||30|
|An abduction is performed successfully*||50|
|Alien base is built||50|
|Aliens sign a pact with a funding country||150|
|A city terror site is ignored by X-COM||1000|
Notes on Alien Score
- *Success is counted each time an UFO takes off. If a single ufo lands multiple times, it will score each time it starts flying again including if disturbed by an unsuccessful X-com mission.
The alien's score can be viewed by looking in the graphs menu. At the end of the month it is subtracted from X-Com's score to give the player's score for the month. It is reset at the end of each month just like the player's.
Losing The Game
You can lose the game in the following ways:
- If you are in debt over $1 million at the end of any month, after funding and maintenance has been calculated, the council will give you a warning. The warning they give about not going over $2 million in debt should presumably read $1 million. The 2nd time you are over $1 million in debt, the project is cancelled. However, there is a rather large bug. There is actually a check whether the "Has X-com received a financial warning?" flag has been raised. If no, a warning is issued and the flag is raised. If yes, then the game ends, and the flag is lowered. HOWEVER, this flag is erronously not connected to any particular savegame, it is global across all savegames. This allows strange results when saving and loading games.
- If you have two consecutive "bad" months in terms of score--
- -900 (Beginner)
- -800 (Experienced)
- -700 (Veteran)
- -600 (Genius)
- -500 (Superhuman)
- If all X-COM bases are captured by Aliens. (But you can stay in the game by starting a new base before your last base is captured - see Access Lift.)
- If you fail your attempt to destroy Cydonia!