I'm somehow missing a very important tip: Wait one turn before deployment. What you do is have your first two soldiers kneel and face to the side, so they can see and reaction shoot any aliens coming into view during their turns. Of course, if an alien is visible from the beginning, it has to be killed right away.
Advantages if one waits one turn:
- the aliens will all have moved, and will not have their full TU's left for reaction shots
- the motion scanner can pick up signals from aliens nearby
- of course, the troops sitting in the open skyranger are an ideal target if spotted by the aliens.
Because of this disadvantage, one must carefully consider the part of the map where the skyranger has landed. If there is a high chance of interception, then the deployment should be immediately performed. Markho 08:19, 14 December 2011 (EST)
- One solution to that is to drop a smoke grenade inside just by the exit of the Skyranger. This will prevent you from seeing what's outside by the ramp, but then again if you have a smoke grenade at the bottom of the ramp anyway, you generally want those deploying to find any threats you find outside. -NKF 13:45, 16 December 2011 (EST)
- Thanks NKF; I also discovered that ,wait one turn' is already implemented into the deployment strategy. The advantages of this are just not really detailed, but that isn't so important. Markho 06:26, 19 December 2011 (EST)