I've noticed that mission objectives may include things like "Investigate a lead" or "Get Advents Attention" that can be attached to some of the mission types. Most likely the "relay" "hacking" "Looting" and "VIP" missions.
I believe these may correspond to strategic layer events, such as leading to new missions, or causing the AI to reprioritize advent troop distributions
I first noticed this with a mission that I elected not to complete, while I cannot exactly recall the text, seemed to imply it was related to a base raid that occurred immediately following the missions expiration.
It may be a good idea to collect mission objective text in this article as well.
I've decided it would be best to not edit the article to include this stub of information.
- I noticed when I completed a mission with the Find a Lead objective, it completed that objective in the strategic layer (I now have "grow the resistance" instead). I assume they correspond to strategic objectives (and I just haven't seen the Get Advent's Attention objective yet).
- The alternative is that Get Advent's Attention might signify that this mission will generate more threat than usual.
I think that leads are things that direct you to interesting things? I think that after I do one of them, I often get another scan site. For instance, I got some that directed me to scan sites with a MEC, intel, supplies, etc. Possibly also to "storylines" (for lack of a better descriptor), for instance the liberation "storyline".
I think objectives and rewards should be discussed together because many of those are tied together. Here is what i have observed so far about mission objectives and rewards:
- The "Find a lead" objective is tied to the "Intel package" reward and shows on various green missions. One of those will start the liberation quest and allow further liberation missions. Other leads will pop vanilla style scansites (with reduced duration) allowing for more supplies/intel/personnel... with no risk to your troops. As such they are all valuable.
- Further liberation missions will have a Liberation:something reward.
- Missions with an objective to eliminate an Advent VIP or blow up a monument will have a Draw Advent attention "reward" in addition to some intel. This means Advent will try to transfer forces to that region, probably increasing strength in that region while reducing it in surrounding regions.
- Missions with an ambush objective (wilderness supply line, slums ambushes) have "Enemy materiel" rewards which means you get to keep the corpses in those missions, and you can recover further supplies/alloys/elerium (especially when attacking a supply line). Those missions also appear to have a hidden reward of destroying some Advent power, meaning it's gone from the map rather than redirected as with the draw attention reward (at least, it's gone for some time, Advent will replace lost troops sooner rather than later)
- Missions with "Unhindered operations" as a reward (typically protect the device missions) allow you to keep operating Intel job on the haven. If you fail or ignore one of those, you won't be able to run any intel on that haven for some time.
- Missions with "attack counterinsurgency" or something similar as a reward are your typical counter dark event guerilla ops. They must be detected and infiltrated as most missions.
There is also a mission to root out the advent spies. The one I did tonight had 5 advent and the faceless spy. Also, does anyone know what is up with the formatting?