Often these monsters have been at the core of the alien attack forces as the Aliens launch assaults upon the land.
A heavyweight and potent weapon, the Lobster men commanders deploy them with lethal efficiency.
Source: Terror From The Deep Ufopaedia
Its tiny brain is supplemented by a small computer module mounted in the control harness all the creatures wear.
A tough natural skin, a predatory instinct enhanced by additional weapons makes this a lethal opponent in all environments.
Source: Terror From The Deep Ufopaedia
|Time Units||72 - 107|
|Energy||90 - 133|
|Reactions||69 - 94|
|Strength||120 - 149|
|Firing Accuracy||32 - 130|
|MC Strength||100 - 124|
|Front Armour||48 - 144|
|Left Armour||44 - 132|
|Right Armour||44 - 132|
|Back Armour||44 - 132|
|Under Armour||3 - 10|
|Melee Accuracy||80 - 118|
|Unique Attributes||Melee Attack|
These brutes are rare, but extremely powerful terror units. They are similar to the Sectopod of the First Alien War, but with even higher stats, and mount powerful twin Sonic weapons. They are found on land, in the company of Tasoths or Tasoth-dominated Mixed crew missions.
Unlike the Sectopod, they aren't particularly vulnerable to any type of weapon. However, they do have a glaring weakness: almost non-existant Under Armor. While most explosive weapons don't work on land, grenades do. A single, well-thrown Sonic Pulser will usually suffice to kill even an uninjured Triscene.
The Triscene possesses a deadly combo of extremely powerful Sonic weaponry, high Health and thick Armour. On Veteran difficulty and above their almost ridiculously high armour requires special tactics to defeat:
- By far the easiest way yo kill one is, as mentioned above, to simply throw a grenade under it. Even the weaker ones will suffice to kill or severely injure a Triscene.
- This means that Triscenes are the most dangerous when fighting in areas with low ceilings.
- Triscenes do not appear underwater, so the Disruptor Pulse Launcher can't be used against them. Weapons such as the Torpedo Launcher can only be used for reaction fire.
- A Particle Disturbance Grenade can be useful when fighting them because it can be deployed without exposing oneself to the Triscene's deadly weapons. Of course, getting the big dino to trigger the grenade can be hard if it has decided to hole up in some tiny nook.
- Unless you can somehow shoot it from below, a Triscene on Veteran, or Genius difficulty can easily shrug off anything weaker than a Sonic Cannon - indeed, Gauss or AP weapons are completely useless against it. On Superhuman difficulty, a Triscene will laugh even in the face of a Sonic Cannon - on average, it can soak up an entire clip worth of ammo and come back for more.
- Strong melee weapons can be used in a pinch to take one down. Vibro Blades are too weak - this is a job for the Heavy Thermic Lance. Of course, the main problem is getting close enough (and don't forget the Triscene's own melee attack!). Another problem is that an Aquanaut may well not have enough TUs to finish off the Triscene.
The following are some miscellaneous notes on the Triscene:
- The Triscene takes 0.8x damage from Gauss weapons, 1.1x damage from melee attacks and 0.9x damage from all other sources.
- It is found exclusively on land, in the company of Tasoths or Mixed crews.
- It's quite large, making for an easy target.
- Takes up 4 squares on the battlescape.
- Very high Strength.
- Extremely high Health.
- Average Reactions.
- Average Energy.
- Is fast (high TU).
- Very high Firing Accuracy.
- Very high MC Strength.
- Has a powerful melee attack.
- Has extremely strong armour, except for the weak underbelly.
- Despite the (in-game) UFOpedia mentioning "its Lobster Men Commanders", the Triscene is only found alongside Tasoths, or Tasoth/Aquatoid Mixed Crew missions.
- They're so rare that it's quite possible to play through the entire game without ever facing a single Triscene.
|Terror From The Deep|
|Aliens||Aquatoid • Gillman • Lobster Man • Tasoth • Mixed Crew|
|Terror Units||Bio-Drone • Calcinite • Deep One • Hallucinoid • Tentaculat • Zombie • Triscene • Xarquid|
|Data||TFTD Alien Stats • Alien Rank • TFTD Damage Modifiers • TFTD Alien Appearance Ratios • SWS/Terror Unit Innate Weapons|