Weapon Fragments (EU2012)
Although the alien weapon fragments provide a limited glimpse into the systems utilized in their equipment, we've seen enough to confirm my worst suspicions about their technology... that it is vastly superior to our own. However, I have been encouraged by the rapid developments the research team has made in studying the damaged circuitry and electronics we recovered. Our initial efforts have already yielded a successful outcome. The new integrated sighting module created for our weaponry was heavily influenced by the aliens' own targeting system.
Source: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012) Research Archives
|Grey Market Description|
Based on our experience in the field, it seems the alien weaponry is designed to self-destruct when the operator dies. These fragments are all that we've managed to recover from the remains.
Source: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)
- Weapon Fragments can be retrieved from the battlefield by killing aliens. Most weapons appear to create two fragments when their owner dies.
- Explosions destroy fragments, both when killing an alien and later (where fragments are).
- Of course, there won't be fragments if a weapon is recovered (via stunning or alien killed while Mind Controlled).
- Researching Weapon Fragments allows for production of a new item, the S.C.O.P.E.
- Weapons research requires large amounts of fragments, which can create bottlenecks for your scientific research.