Talk:AllOutWar's X-Com Apocalypse Guide
I'm probably one of a few that absolutely enjoy the Explorer, here are some points I've noted:
- Explorers are basically the interdimensional equivalent of the Hawk Air Warriors in function, just with less cargo space for 2 shields. Yes having 400 less shield points than the Hawk or Retaliator does sound like trouble, but as long as you manage your shield levels and know when to back off or flee to a nearby launch tube, then they'll do fine. Then again you're not going to have them attack enemy ships on their own.
- Explorers, Are the 3rd fastest aircraft in the game. The Annihilator's the 2nd, and the Dim. Probe is the fastest.
- Explorers have 8 agent slots, but obviously the Biotrans does this job a lot better.
- The Medium Disruptor beam is key to this vehicle's ability to attack the type 9 and 10. The sides are ideal for Lancer lasers, but the Lineage Plasma cannons provide the best firepower.
- Explorers can be built faster than the more advanced ships.
- It's not necessarily easy, but a fleet of 5 or 6 of these are capable of flawlessly wiping out the the alien dimension fleet by themselves IF you take a slow approach and tackle the alien dimension UFOs a few at a time and use the left edge of the AD map to give the Explorers are chance to recharge their shields.
- Why the left part? I usually use the bottom right crater. Hobbes 17:16, 11 December 2010 (EST)
- Doh, you're correct. Right side of the map. The crater is one of the safer parts to rest up. -NKF 19:42, 11 December 2010 (EST)
As always, it's easy enough to take a less aggressive approach to air combat in Mega Primus and skip this aircraft and the Retaliator and concentrate all your resources on the Annihilators. -NKF 10:58, 10 December 2010 (EST)
Very good info - thanks! After creating one and seeing it zip around (and be a little more pleasing visually than the slow-turning, oddly-winged Retaliator) I grew to appreciate it's Hawk-like armaments. I have only built one - ever - in my current game, but it is med. disrupter in the middle and lineage plasma cannons on the side. It helped bring down my first battleship, so I won't scoff at it again. --Alloutwar 12:39, 10 December 2010 (EST)