- For the original UFO: Enemy Unknown (1994) version, see Ethereal
- For the version that appears in The Bureau, see Ethereal (Bureau)
The Ethereals are some of, if not the most powerful alien creatures you will ever encounter in the game. These ancient aliens are the true masterminds behind the alien invasion. They are humanoid in form and possess four arms. While they are physically quite frail the Ethereals have the greatest psionic abilities seen in the entire game, using them to obliterate the minds and bodies of your squad.
Dr. Vahlen identifies a specimen to be centuries old. Despite this the Ethereals actually have a ton of health. (20 health points in total on Classic and below difficulties) Do not expect them to turn into a pile of dust when you shoot them.
You will only find Ethereals in UFO assaults or on the final mission. They prefer to send their underlings such as Mutons to do their dirty work. In the Enemy Within DLC, it is possible for Ethereals to appear during Operation Ashes and Temples in the final alien wave.
| Devastate an area with a storm of psi energy. The rift does more damage against targets with low Will, and reduced damage against targets with high Will. 4 turn cooldown.|
It has the potential to do from 4 damage (if resisted) to 20+ (to S.H.I.V.s, since they have no will to resist.) Rift will persist on the map for one turn and damage anything that enters its radius.
| Project a bolt of pure psi force at an enemy.|
|Drain health from an ally.|
|Causes the target to lose grip on reality, inflicting penalties to Aim, Will, and mobility, and doing 5 base damage. Robotic units are immune. Lasts 2 turns. 1 turn cooldown.|
|Very difficult psi technique that, if successful, grants control of the target for 5 turns. Robotic enemies are immune. 5 turn cooldown.|
|Confers extra protection against critical hits. Enemies suffer a -60% chance to inflict critical hits.|
- Their high Will makes them resistant to most psionic attacks.
- They have also a chance to reflect physical projectiles back at the attacker. The reflected attack deals reduced damage.
- Ethereals explode upon death, dealing damage to all units within a fairly small radius.
- S.H.I.V.s should NOT be used against these aliens since even though they cannot be mind controlled, they are highly vulnerable against their Rift and Psi Lance abilities due to not having the Will to resist them.
- If killed during a successful mission an Ethereal Corpse will be recovered.
- Researching an Ethereal corpse will unlock the Mind Shield.
- If captured during a mission and interrogated afterwards they will provide a bonus reduction on all technology.
- In Enemy Within, even Ethereals panic to getting a face full of Napalm, so a MEC Trooper with a Flame Thrower can buy you a round of breathing room.
- The Ethereals of The Bureau may be related to these with the others being the Ethereals that transcended.
- Uber Ethereal - Warning: Spoilers Ahead!
|XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012): Aliens|
|Aliens:||Sectoid • Floater • Thin Man • Outsider • Muton • Chryssalid • Zombie • Sectoid Commander • Cyberdisc • Heavy Floater • Berserker • Sectopod • Drone • Muton Elite • Ethereal • Uber Ethereal (*Spoilers*) • Mechtoid (EW DLC) • Seeker (EW DLC)|
|Alien Corpses:||Sectoid Corpse • Floater Corpse • Thin Man Corpse • Muton Corpse • Chryssalid Corpse • Drone Wreck • Cyberdisc Wreck • Sectoid Commander Corpse • Heavy Floater Corpse • Berserker Corpse • Muton Elite Corpse • Sectopod Wreck • Ethereal Corpse • Seeker Wreck (EW DLC) • Mechtoid Core (EW DLC)|
|Data:||Overview of Aliens • Alien Stats • Alien Objectives • Alien Deployment|