The Gunner class is a support fire specialist, capable of wielding the largest automatic weapons in XCOM's arsenal to either inflict heavy damage, or lock down and debuff hostiles.
- Primary Weapon: SAWs, LMGs, Assault Rifles, Carbines, SMGs.
- Secondary Weapon: None.
- Class-Limited items: SAWs, LMGs.
Suppress [Pinned if protected by cover, damaged if not, no reaction fire, -35 aim, -35% mobility/ability range] targets. Breaks with a reaction shot that ignores reaction immunity if the target acts. Requires 2 ammo, and uses the 2nd ammo if a reaction shot was triggered. 1 turn cooldown. Increases the chance of being critically hit by 30% when suppressing. [Basic reaction shots bypass half of cover DR/def and cannot crit]
Will To Survive
When protected by cover: This unit receives +35% DR and lowers cover defense by half. For XCOM only: Reduces injury time by 50% and grants Steadfast.
Immunity to panic (except from flames or psionics) and grants 30 will when defending against psionic attacks and overpower.
Allows 2 reaction shots during overwatch. Grants Opportunist.
Reaction shots gain +20 aim and can critically hit.
Suppressive fire damage occurs immediately. Grants +50% weapon damage to grenades. Grants +70% weapon damage to sniper and strike rifles.
Critical System Targeting
Shots against autopsied mechanical units deal +65% damage and gain +50 crit. Does not work with the Arc Rifle or Arc Pistol.
Grants +4 armor HP and %DR equal to 15 + half of the %HP lost.
The primary weapon gains +2 penetration.
Shooting allows this unit to fire an extra shot if not out of ammo or targets. 1 turn cooldown after 2nd shot is used.
Ready For Anything
At the end of each turn, if this unit did not move and is not at risk of triggering reaction fire, overwatch activates. Grants +30 crit resistance when overwatching.
Firing at a target marks them, preventing concealment/stealth and granting +10 aim and +1 penetration to all shots at them for the next 3 turns.
Primary weapons Shred [Damage received is increased by x% where x is 30 + shred damage dealt] any unit they damage for the remainder of the battle.
Grants +3 armor HP. Grants +40% crit resistance when protected by cover.
Lock N' Load
Reloading any weapon costs only 1 AP. Dashing automatically reloads the active weapon.
Grants 2 medikits, a smoke grenade, +1 ammo to non-electric primary weapons, and +1 armor HP.
Grants +2 armor HP, +0.6 mobility, and a 10% chance for all end-in-idle actions to cost 0 AP.
Bring 'Em On
Grants the primary weapon additional damage equal to 1 + half the number of enemies in sight.
Role: Medium Range Offense / Offensive Support
The Gunner is mostly unchanged from vanilla. A major decision when building a Gunner is deciding if they will use a LMG or SAW-type weapon. SAW Gunners have more mobility and accuracy while LMG Gunners are slow and inaccurate but boast an improved Suppression thanks to the weapon's Danger Zone and a deep pull of ammo to draw from.
Suppression is a powerful tool used to chip down exposed targets or pin down ennemies behind cover to prevent dangerous flanks. Besides this innate utility, they also have access to a large array of offensive and defensive options which gives them a lot of flexibility in their builds, with many viable combinations.
They enjoy the high power of their class weapons, granting them a sizable damage output that will put Shredder to good use. Gunners are however quite slow with no movement growth and heavy weaponry and thus are most at home in fights that don't require a lot of repositioning.
The Tank Gunner mixes sturdyness with high damage in a threatening package. It is the only biological class with access to Grit and it is put to good use to endure an impressive amount of punishment that would leave most other tank builds long dead. Double Tap rounds out the offensive capabilities of the build with strong bursts of shredding damage that can crack open heavily armored ennemies. Supression remains a reliable utility option but an alert Commander will keep an eye on available ammo lest a crucial Double Tap opportunity be missed.
Sample Tank Build: Will To Survive -> Grit or Critical System Targeting -> Double Tap-> Shredder -> Tenacious Defense or Lock N' Load -> Extra Conditioning or Bring 'Em On
Recommended Weapons: SAW
Recommended Equipment: Reinforced plating/Alloy plating/Regenerative plating, Flak Ammo, Combat Stims, Walker Servos.
- Critical System Targeting sacrifices the tanking potential of Grit in favor of absurd shredding numbers on Mech opponents. A choice for bold Commanders.
- Tenacious Defense can be switched for Lock'n Load for more offensive uptime, although the lost crit mitigation will hurt late game when out of smoke.
- Extra Conditioning is a good all-rounder choice. Bring 'Em On will boost damage to even more impressive levels.
- Defensive Gene Mods will noticably boost tanking abilities
The Overwatch Gunner is an offensive build that utilizes the high damage of the SAW with Sentinel and Shredder to deliver hefty damage through reaction fire and lock down ennemy movement. Ready for Anything grants some much needed aim as well as free overwatching as long as the Gunner does not move. For this reason, this build is most at home in heavy and protratcted firefights where it can fire uninterrupted - racking up shredding damage to overwhelm the opposition. Pairing this build with another overwatch class will wear down ennemy battle lines at an alarming pace. Supression - while still useful - is less optimal than on other builds.
Sample Tank Build: Sentinel -> Penetrator or Critical System Targeting -> Ready for Anything-> Shredder -> Lock N' Load -> Bring 'Em On
Recommended Weapons: SAW, Assault Rifle, LMG
Recommended Equipment: Scope, Alloy Bipod, Flak Ammo, Respirator Implant, Alien Trophy, Damage boosting ammo.
- Critical System Targeting combined with Flak ammo allow a high specialization against Mechs. Penetrator is less specialized but usable against many targets.
- This build will put Gene Mods to good use, especially Predictive Tracking for the added aim on reaction shots and Adrenal Neurosympathy which is more likely to trigger thanks to the high number of actions per turn.
- The LMG is an uncoventionnal choice for this build due to the steep aim penalty. Sufficently mitigated however (e.g Mind Merge + Holo Rounds), the resulting damage will put most other offensive builds to shame.
Mayhem Gunner (Bullet Wizard)
The Mayhem Gunner build focuses on debuffing and crowd control through Suppression boosted by Holo Rounds and Shredder to allow other squad members to provide more accurate and damaging fire. With Mayhem and Danger Zone from the LMG, the Gunner can suppress and debuff entire groups of ennemies; denting targets and pinning them down if in cover. The cooldown turn of Suppression can be put to good use by repositioning, reloading or simply using the unwieldy LMG to deliver a powerful if innacurate (Flush is advised) shredding shot to a target. While slow, this build can fix this problem thanks to a great freedom in terms of equipment choices.
Sample Debuffer Build: Mayhem -> Penetrator -> Holo Rounds -> Shredder -> Lock n' Load or First Aid -> Extra Conditioning or Bring 'Em On
Recommended Weapons: LMG
Recommended Equipment: Alien trophy, Respirator Implant, Proximity Sensor/Extrasensory Vest, Walking Servos, Medikit.
- First Aid can picked over Lock N' Load to offer some more staying power to the squad.
- Extra Conditioning offers some added mobility. Bring 'Em On might up suppressive fire damage by a few points if enough opponents are visible.
- Predictive Tracking is a good choice for the Suppression reaction shot and the boost to Flush Damage
- This build has the particularity to be very stat-independant, even Gunners cursed by low stat totals are salvageable as a Mayhem Gunner.