The Infantry class borrows elements from the Assault and Heavy classes. Their signature ability is Light 'Em Up, which reduces the AP cost of standard shots to 1, allowing them to fire twice per turn.
- Primary Weapon: Carbines, Assault Rifles, Battle Rifles, SMGs, Shotguns.
- Secondary Weapon: Pistols, Machine Pistols, Sawed-off shotgun.
- Class-Limited items: None.
Light 'Em Up
Standard shots gain +1 damage and +10 crit for every instance of damage their target took this turn and cost only 1 AP.
Will To Survive
When protected by cover: This unit receives +30% DR and lowers cover defense by half. For XCOM only: Reduces injury time by 50% and grants Steadfast.
Immunity to panic (except from flames or psionics) and grants 30 will when defending against psionic attacks and overpower.
Allows 2 reaction shots during overwatch. Grants Opportunist.
Reaction shots gain +20 aim and can critically hit.
Using a destructive grenade costs only 1 AP. Equipped destructive grenades receive an additional use.
Grants +3 armor HP. Grants +40% crit resistance when protected by cover.
Lock N' Load
Reloading any weapon costs only 1 AP. Dashing automatically reloads the active weapon.
Suppressive fire damage occurs immediately. Grants +50% weapon damage to grenades. Grants +65% weapon damage to sniper and strike rifles.
Grants +2 armor HP, +0.6 mobility, and a 10% chance for all end-in-idle actions to cost 0 AP.
Grants 2 medikits, a smoke grenade, +1 ammo to non-electric primary weapons, and +1 armor HP.
Grants +1 damage to all weapons and equipment, +0.6 mobility, and +10% throw range. For sidearms: No long-range aim penalty, gain double the close-range aim bonus, and reloading costs only 1 AP.
Bring 'Em On
Grants the primary weapon additional damage equal to 1 + half the number of enemies in sight.
Shooting or Overwatching will not trigger reaction fire. For XCOM only: Grants a 20% chance for shots to cost 0 AP and an additional reaction shot on Overwatch.
Explosives gain +5 penetration and double the chance to disorient a target through Concussive Blast.
Grants the primary weapon additional crit damage equal to the number of enemies in sight or squadsight.
Equipped medikits, grenades, mists, and beacons receive an additional use. Grants +1 ammo to non-electric primary weapons.
Role: Medium Range Offense
Infantry are mid-range damage dealers. They can fire twice per turn if they don't move, which makes them excel at eliminating enemies by attrition. Because they must remain stationary to fire twice, they tend to perform best with rifles and carbines, rather than shotguns or SMGs, which are more position dependent - if you want a more mobile soldier who's designed for mobility and getting flanks, look to the Assault class. The Infantry's ability to fire twice per turn makes them competitive with Snipers at direct damage. Due to their high fire-rate it is very important to keep an eye on the Infantry's ammunition, as it can run out very quickly.
Infantry have decent aim progression and have relatively uncomplicated builds - they have at least one talent at each rank that improves their proficiency with their primary weapon and also have a selection of defensive abilities available at each rank. The Infantry does have a powerful utility perk combination to improve overwatch in Sentinel, and Lock n' Load, and Ranger.
The Tank Infantry is a potent and straightforward hybrid build that leverages the excellent Infantry stat growths and the innate offensive power of Light 'Em Up to produce a well rounded combatant capable of dealing and tanking damage at a variety of ranges. Depending on roster needs, the build can be either taken in a more offensive or defensive direction and all available enchancements (Officer, Psi, Genemods) can be equally used to great effect to improve its capabilities.
Sample Tank Build: Will To Survive -> Tenacious Defense or Lock n' Load -> Extra Conditioning or First Aid -> Ranger -> Critical System Targeting or Snapshot or Vital Point Targeting -> Aggression
Recommended Weapons: Assault rifle, Battle Rifle
Recommended Equipment: Ammo increase, Shredder/AP ammo, Reinforced Plating/Regenerative Plating, Combat Stims, Psi defender(psi)/Conduit(psi), .
- Tenacious Defense can be switched out for Lock n' Load for more offensive uptime. This switch is even more justified if you plan to use Psi defender(psi).
- Extra Conditioning against First Aid is a toss up between extra stats + free action chance and additional sustain.
- The Gunnery Sergeant perks are all viable. CST/VPT for added power against Mechs/Bio and Snapshot for the extra 20% stacking chance for a free shot which can be paired with Extra conditioning and a possible Conduit(psi)
This straightforward build focuses on using mid-range reaction shots to cover front line tanking soldiers and lock down alien movement as the AI generally dislikes running into reaction fire. Since this build forgoes any defensive perks, other soldiers with tanking builds must be placed between this soldier and any foes. With Lock n' Load and Sentinel providing constant offensive uptime and precise reaction fire, this build is very effective against enemies in cover and will rapidly rack up damage during protracted firefights. Light 'Em Up also allows it to shoot directly at a target if needed and immediately return to overwatching, enabling a valuable maximum of 3 shots per turn.
Sample OW Build: Sentinel -> Lock n' Load -> Impact -> Ranger -> Critical System Targeting or Vital Point Targeting -> Aggression
Recommended Weapons: Assault rifle, Battle Rifle, SMG
Recommended Equipment: Drum Mags, Shredder/AP ammo/Damage boosting ammo, Scope/Neural Gunlink(psi).
- CST vs VPT is left to the Commander's discretion.
- This build will put Gene Mods to good use, especially Predictive Tracking for the added aim on reaction shots and Adrenal Neurosympathy which is more likely to trigger thanks to the high number of actions per turn.
- Psi is also a strong option thanks to the Infantry high will growth
- An SMG can be an interesting choice for an aggressive Commander that likes to move in to flank and overwatch exposed target to disrupt ennemy positions.
The Grenadier Infantry is an efficient package that delivers both fire support and explosive damage from mid range. The high stat growths of the class allows it to perform decently on both fronts and to remain a credible offensive threat once out of grenades, which will happen quite quickly as it gains Packmaster very late on the build.
Sample Grenadier Build: Grenadier -> Mayhem -> Extra Conditioning -> Ranger -> Critical System Targeting or Snapshot or Vital Point Targeting -> Packmaster
Recommended Weapons: SMG, Carbine, Arc Rifle with secondary autopistol.
Recommended Equipment: HE grenades, AP grenades, Alien/Plasma grenades.
- This build will enjoy Psi powers to use when out of grenades or if throwing grenades is not an option.
- High aim growth and Light 'Em Up make the Arc rifle a viable option for a large burst of damage against hard to crack Mechs.
- The Gunnery Sergeant perk is left to the Commander's discretion. Do keep in mind that CST does not work with the Arc rifle.