The Infantry class borrows elements from the Assault and Heavy classes. Their signature ability is Light 'Em Up, which reduces the AP cost of standard shots to 1, allowing them to fire twice per turn.
- Primary Weapon: Carbines, Assault Rifles, Battle Rifles, SMGs, Shotguns.
- Secondary Weapon: Pistols, Machine Pistols, Sawed-off shotgun.
- Class-Limited items: None.
Light 'Em Up
Standard shots gain +1 damage for every instance of damage their target took this turn and cost only 1 AP.
Will To Survive
When protected by cover: This unit receives 20% DR + 4% per enemy in sight, partial cover grants the DR of full cover, and cover defense is lowered by 15. For XCOM only: Reduces injury time by 50% and grants Steadfast.
Immunity to panic (except from flames or psionics).
Fire an additional reaction shot during overwatch. Gain +20 defense when on overwatch. Grants Opportunist.
Reaction shots gain +15 aim and can critically hit.
Using a destructive grenade or MiNE costs only 1 AP. Equipped destructive grenades and MiNEs receive an additional use. For MECs only: Gain 35% throw range when using One For All.
Grants +3 armor HP. Grants +20% crit resistance when protected by cover.
Lock N' Load
Reloading any weapon costs only 1 AP. Dashing automatically reloads the active weapon.
Grants +50% weapon damage to explosives.
Grants +3 armor HP, +0.6 mobility, 10% throw range, and a 10% chance for all end-in-idle actions to cost 0 AP.
Shooting will not trigger reaction fire. If this unit has not moved this turn, shots gain a 20% chance to cost 0 AP.
Grants a medikit, a smoke grenade, and +1 ammo to non-arc primary weapons.
Grants +1 damage to all weapons and equipment, +0.6 mobility, and +10% throw range. For sidearms: No long-range aim penalty and reloading costs only 1 AP.
Bring 'Em On
Grants additional shot damage equal to half the number of enemies in sight. Grants additional aim and graze chance equal to 5x the number of enemies in sight.
Explosives employed by this soldier do full damage at the extent of their area of effect (instead of 50%).
Grants the primary weapon +20 crit and additional crit damage equal to the number of enemies in sight or squadsight.
Equipped medikits, grenades, and mists receive an additional use. Grants +1 ammo to non-arc primary weapons. Grants +1 HP to healing from Restorative Mists.
Role: Medium Range Offense
Infantry are mid-range damage dealers. They can fire twice per turn if they don't move, which makes them excel at eliminating enemies by attrition. Because they must remain stationary to fire twice, they tend to perform best with rifles and carbines, rather than shotguns or SMGs, which are more position dependent - if you want a more mobile soldier who's designed for mobility and getting flanks, look to the Assault class. The Infantry's ability to fire twice per turn makes them competitive with Snipers at direct damage. Due to their high fire-rate it is very important to keep an eye on the Infantry's ammunition, as it can run out very quickly.
Infantry have decent aim progression and have relatively uncomplicated builds - they have at least one talent at each rank that improves their proficiency with their primary weapon and also have a selection of defensive abilities available at each rank. The Infantry does have a powerful utility perk combination to improve overwatch in Sentinel, and Lock n' Load, and Ranger.
The Tank Infantry is a potent and straightforward hybrid build that leverages the excellent Infantry stat growths and the innate offensive power of Light 'Em Up to produce a well rounded combatant capable of dealing and tanking damage at a variety of ranges. Depending on roster needs, the build can be either taken in a more offensive or defensive direction and all available enhancements (Officer, Psi, Genemods) can be equally used to great effect to improve its capabilities.
Sample Tank Build: Will To Survive -> Tenacious Defense or Lock n' Load -> Extra Conditioning or Kitted -> Ranger -> Bring 'Em On -> Aggression
Recommended Weapons: Assault rifle, Battle Rifle, Arc Rifle. Secondary Autopistol.
Recommended Equipment: Drum Mags, Special ammo, Platings, Combat Stims, Psi Defender/Conduit.
- This build is one of the most versatile builds in the game, as it covers offense, defense, and sometimes utility depending on item/perk choices.
- Tenacious Defense can be switched out for Lock n' Load for more offensive uptime. When combining a Psi Defender and a plating on a Psi Infantry, you may also find the extra crit resist redundant anyways.
- Extra Conditioning against Kitted is a toss up between extra stats + free action chance and additional sustain.
- Infantry are top-tier Conduit users as they take multiple actions per turn that can benefit from its free action chance, and the flat damage bonus never hurts.
- Arc Rifles pair well with an Autopistol to cover both biological and mechanical threats, and LeU can even make the Arc Rifle do decent damage to biologicals in a pinch. Both MSGT perks are wasted when using one, however.
This straightforward build focuses on using mid-range reaction shots to cover front-line tanking soldiers and lock down alien movement as the AI generally dislikes running into reaction fire. Since this build forgoes any defensive perks, other soldiers with tanking builds must be placed between this soldier and any foes. With Lock n' Load and Sentinel providing constant offensive uptime and precise reaction fire, this build is very effective against enemies in cover and will rapidly rack up damage during protracted firefights. Light 'Em Up also allows it to shoot directly at a target if needed and immediately return to Overwatching, enabling a valuable maximum of 3 shots per turn. This can be further increased with Inner Fire (Psi, +1 OW shot) or Enhanced Metabolism (Gene mod, +1 OW shot), up to a theoretical maximum of 4 shots per turn.
Sample OW Build: Sentinel -> Lock n' Load -> Any -> Ranger -> Impact or Bring 'Em On -> Aggression
Recommended Weapons: Assault rifle, Battle Rifle, SMG
Recommended Equipment: Drum Mags, Damage-increasers, Aim-increasers, Special ammo.
- This build will put Gene Mods to good use, especially Predictive Tracking for the added aim on reaction shots, Enhanced Metabolism for an extra Overwatch shot, and Adrenal Neurosympathy which is more likely to trigger thanks to the high number of actions per turn.
- Psi is also a strong option thanks to the Infantry's high will growth, Inner Fire, and the power of Conduit when taking multiple actions per turn.
- An SMG can be an interesting choice for an aggressive Commander that likes to move in to flank and Overwatch exposed targets to disrupt enemy positions. Be warned, however, that some enemies are liable to shoot your vulnerable soldier even while flanked.
- The choice at SGT is pretty open: Extra Conditioning is solid all around, Snapshot guarantees that Overwatching is safe and pairs nicely with Impact for situational Overwatch removal, and Kitted gives some utility and ammo.
The Grenadier Infantry is an efficient package that delivers both fire support and explosive damage from mid range. The high stat growths of the class allows it to perform decently on both fronts and to remain a credible offensive threat once out of grenades, which will happen quite quickly as it gains Packmaster very late into the build.
Sample Grenadier Build: Grenadier -> Payload -> Extra Conditioning -> Ranger -> Tandem Warheads -> Packmaster
Recommended Weapons: Assault Rifle, SMG, Carbine, Arc Rifle. Secondary autopistol.
Recommended Equipment: HE grenades, AP grenades, Alien/Plasma grenades, Psi Frayer/Conduit.
- This build will enjoy Psi powers to use when out of grenades or if throwing grenades is not an option.
- High aim growth and Light 'Em Up make the Arc rifle a viable option for a large burst of damage against hard to crack mechs.