Psi Lab (EU2012)
This facility will allow us to discover and develop the latent psionic abilities of our soldiers. If they have any such capabilities, using them in the field will increase their strength.
Source: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)
Role: Contains 3 slots where soldiers can be put for 10 days to discover whether they are gifted in psionic skills.
- The Psionic Lab will allow you to test your soldiers for psionic powers. You may test up to 3 soldiers at a time, upon which they will be unable to join a mission during the 10 days testing time.
- The chances of a soldier becoming Psionic depend on several factors:
- The soldier's Will stat.
- Its rank
- The number of already existing Psionic soldiers
- Whether Second Wave's More Than Human option is activated or not.
- If activated then the number of tested soldiers will count until you received your first Psionic.
If a soldier is a Major/Colonel, then the basic formula applies:
Psi Chance = Soldier Will / 4
So a Major/Colonel soldier with a Will of 80 has a 20% chance of becoming a Psionic.
With other ranks lower than these two, things get a bit more complicated:
Psi Chance = (Soldier Will + Bonus)/4 Bonus = Max (0, (75 - (Soldier Rank * 20) - ((number of existing Psionics * 40)))
Soldier rank starts at 0 for Rookies, while if you already have Psionic soldiers then the bonus gets decreased by the number of Psionics present. The bonus reduction is capped at 6 Psionic soldiers but for practical affairs if you already have 2 or more Psionics the bonus is 0 (there can't be negative bonus).
- A Squaddie with 45 Will and no Psionics already present in the Barracks would have a Psi Chance of (45 + (75 - 20))/4 or 25%.
- A Squaddie with 45 Will and 6 or more Psionics present would have a Psi Chance of (45 + Max (0, 75 - 20 - 240))/4 or 11%
A complete description of the code function can be found here.
More Than Human
With Second Wave's More Than Human option, the formula for testing is:
Psi Chance = Soldier Will / 8 / (1 + Number of already existing Psionic soldiers)
After you get the 1st Psionic, the chance for a 2nd Psionic while testing a soldier with 80 Will would be 80/8/2 or 5%.
If you don't have any Psionics on the Barracks after 5 soldiers have been tested, the 6th tested soldier will automatically be a Psionic. This rule always applies, regardless if you are using More Than Human or not.
|XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012): Base Facilities|
|Headquarters:||Mission Control • Hangar • Engineering • Research • Barracks • Situation Room|