Often these monsters have been at the core of the alien attack forces as the Aliens launch assaults upon the land.
A heavyweight and potent weapon, the Lobster men commanders deploy them with lethal efficiency.
Source: Terror From The Deep Ufopaedia
Its tiny brain is supplemented by a small computer module mounted in the control harness all the creatures wear.
A tough natural skin, a predatory instinct enhanced by additional weapons makes this a lethal opponent in all environments.
Source: Terror From The Deep Ufopaedia
|Time Units||72 - 107|
|Energy||90 - 133|
|Reactions||69 - 94|
|Strength||120 - 149|
|Firing Accuracy||32 - 130|
|MC Strength||100 - 124|
|Front Armour||48 - 144|
|Left Armour||44 - 132|
|Right Armour||44 - 132|
|Back Armour||44 - 132|
|Under Armour||3 - 10|
|Melee Accuracy||80 - 118|
|Unique Attributes||Melee Attack|
These brutes are rare, but extremely powerful terror units. They are similar to the Sectopod of the First Alien War, but with even higher stats, and mount powerful twin Sonic weapons. They are found on land, in the company of Tasoths or Tasoth-dominated Mixed crew missions.
Unlike the Sectopod, they aren't particularly vulnerable to any type of weapon. However, they do have a glaring weakness: almost non-existant Under Armor. While most explosive weapons don't work on land, grenades do. A single, well-thrown Sonic Pulser will usually suffice to kill even an uninjured Triscene.
|Sonic Turret Specifications|
|Numbers in parenthesis are the actual values after modified by the chassis' abilities. |
Actual costs are in fixed Time Units
Note: Actual TU costs have been omitted as these will vary due to difficulty level adjustments.
The Triscene possesses a deadly combo of extremely powerful Sonic weaponry, high Health and thick armour. On Veteran difficulty and above their almost ridiculously high armour requires special tactics as it can easily shrug off anything weaker than sonic weaponry - indeed, Gauss or AP weapons are nearly useless against it.
- The Triscene has very weak under armour, and being a large alien, is particularly vulnerable to area effect weapons.
- The Gas Cannon with HE shells and especially the Thermal Shok Launcher are effective ranged weapons for fighting Triscene. Either used alone or in tandem, they can quickly take down Triscene.
- All types of grenades are good at quickly dispatching Triscene when fighting in open areas. Even Magna-Blast Grenades can do a respectable amount of damage.
- The Particle Disturbance Grenade can be useful because it can be deployed without exposing oneself to the Triscene's deadly weapons. Of course, getting the big dino to trigger the grenade can be hard if it has decided to hole up in some tiny nook or wander away from the trap.
- Because Triscene only appear above water, the Disruptor Pulse Launcher, Torpedo Launcher and Hydro-Jet Cannon can not be reliably used against them. At least, normally.
- Sonic weapons are effective and will defeat Triscene with some persistence, but only on Beginner or Experienced difficulty levels. Their effectiveness drops sharply on Veteran difficulty and above. Superhuman-level Triscenes are almost completely immune even to Sonic Cannons.
- Strong melee weapons can be used in a pinch to take one down. On high difficulties, Vibro Blades are too weak - this is a job for the Heavy Thermic Lance. The main problem is getting close enough without drawing reaction fire or running out of Time Units and getting mauled by the Triscene's melee attack on the next turn. If in doubt, use the M.C. Reader to gauge the Triscene's ability to react before attempting to engage it up close.
- You can sometimes use the Triscene's size to your advantage as they cannot walk through single tile doors. You can use this to either escape from it or wait for it to get into melee range. Be careful as they can still shoot through the door.
The following are some miscellaneous notes on the Triscene:
- The Triscene takes 0.8x damage from Gauss weapons, 1.1x damage from melee attacks and 0.9x damage from all other sources.
- It is found exclusively on land, in the company of Tasoths or Mixed crews.
- Takes up 4 squares on the battlescape.
- Despite the (in-game) UFOpedia mentioning "its Lobster Men Commanders", the Triscene is only found alongside Tasoths, or Tasoth/Aquatoid Mixed Crew missions.
- They're so rare that it's quite possible to play through the entire game without ever facing a single Triscene.
|Terror From The Deep|
|Aliens||Aquatoid • Gillman • Lobster Man • Tasoth • Mixed Crew|
|Terror Units||Bio-Drone • Calcinite • Deep One • Hallucinoid • Tentaculat • Zombie • Triscene • Xarquid|
|Data||TFTD Alien Stats • Alien Rank • TFTD Damage Modifiers • TFTD Alien Appearance Ratios • SWS/Terror Unit Innate Weapons|