- For the original UFO: Enemy Unknown (1994) version, see Elerium
- For the version that appears in The Bureau, see Elerium (Bureau)
Having fully analyzed the strange material recovered from the alien craft, it's clear this element is unlike anything found on Earth. The unusual atomic structure of this substance responds to direct bombardment from accelerated particles, resulting in an astonishing release of energy. Although the potential applications for this element are nearly unlimited, for now, our efforts are primarily focused on power generation and propulsion schemes. However, as this material does not occur naturally in our own solar system, we must carefully manage our available supply.
Dr. Vahlen's Personal Note: To think, this single element has the potential to change the entire economic structure of Earth's energy industry. If we were to discover the source of this material, our reliance on fossil fuels could disappear within a decade.
Source: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012) Research Archives
|Grey Market Description|
This element is unlike anything ever discovered throughout decades of research and space exploration. As of yet, we have no means of artificially recreating this material, so we should manage our limited supply accordingly.
Source: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)
- This key material is reintroduced in the remake, and is similarly a limited and project-encompassing resource. It sells on the Grey Market for a paltry 3§. So, for many of the same reasons, it should not be sold. It is recovered automatically after a successful mission, from any assaulted UFOs (even if the Elerium Generators are destroyed: naturally, intact generators yield higher amounts) and certain enemies.
- Research benefits from the following Research Credit: UFO Technology.
- Completed research allows construction of new Base Facility: Elerium Generator.