Blaster Launcher (EU2012)
|Project Tunguska Results
Although I was skeptical as to the merits of assembling another weapon based on our traditional methods, namely, large rockets carrying heavy payloads of explosives, we have made some interesting discoveries during our testing. Our prototype, the cleverly named "blaster launcher," has been surprisingly effective in penetrating the alien's seemingly unassailable armor plating. We've also improved on the integrated targeting module by implementing several of the design improvements observed in the alien weapons. As a result, these rockets are capable of guiding themselves, even when fired from an obstructed line of sight. I believe there is still room for us to hone this weapon's capabilities further, but it should be safe to begin manufacturing the current design as you see fit.
Source: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012) Research Archives
By integrating components of the advanced alien navigation systems, we can fire self-guided rockets capable of navigating to the intended target without direct line-of-sight. Damage output has also been signifigantly improved through use of the alien fusion core.
Source: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)
- A considerable upgrade for the Heavy's alternative weapon, the Rocket Launcher.
- Blaster Launchers can only be deployed if you capture a Battleship or complete the Gangplank mission of the Slingshot missions.
- Rockets fired by the Blaster Launcher will navigate around obstacles and walls, including closed doors. They will rarely (if at all?) go off target.
- Like the normal Rocket Launcher, Blaster Launchers only carry 1 shot.
- Additional rockets can be added with the Shredder Rocket and Rocketeer abilities.
- Other abilities that improve rockets include Danger Zone (increases blast radius) and Mayhem (increases damage by 3 points).
- Rockets deal large amounts of damage that can be used to kill a damaged enemy, or soften up a strong target. The explosions will remove Cover, leaving the target exposed and vulnerable to attack.
- On the Enemy Within DLC, the building costs for each Blaster Launcher have been increased to §400, 120 Elerium and 75 Alloys.
|XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012): Research
|Xeno-Biology • Alien Materials • Weapon Fragments • Meld Recombination (EW DLC)
|Research Credits • Research Codenames